Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Report - Unwanted "footer" (Read 7726 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Report - Unwanted "footer"
Reply #15 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 3:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
As I said before, I am optimistic that Sesame does plan on including it's own report generator because I personally think it will be easier to use and give us more flexibility and "control."

Just a technicality - Sesame does have its own report "generator". It generates a document in a common standard format (HTML). What Sesame does not have "built-in" is its own HTML renderer. In fact, the upcoming new report format (non-HTML), uses the exact same report generator as the HTML reports - the main difference is that it's output is not a document - but a rendered image of the report.

The main purpose of a non-rendered standard format for reports is that it produces a document which is completely device independent. It can be "rendered" on any printer or screen from any OS, and transmitted and stored on any of thousands of devices, used in tens of thousands of programs. Or, for that matter, translated into dozens, maybe hundreds, of other standard formats. A Sesame report can even be accessed from ODBC as a data source.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #16 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Carl -

Nice to see you are still around and good to see that you are participating in Sesame.  It will be "fun" to be conversing with you again.

Hi Spencer,

Yeah, I've been with Sesame since the beginning - I participated in the beta testing.

It appears you missed my previous message to you. Smiley
http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #17 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 5:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark.....

You wrote:
Quote:
A Sesame report can even be accessed from ODBC as a data source.
  As you know I have been playing with ODBC (in Access/Word/OpenOffice/QuickBooks) linking to Sesame and you are probably not surprised to see my question here.

Can you provide us with an example of how a Sesame(or any other) HTML file would be used as a data source?  I can understand how to attach the file as an ODBC source, but I don't know how the calling program would parse it. 

I don't need all the details, but enough so that I can try this out, call a test file and do something with the results. 

How does this page need to be formatted?.
Would the file need to be limited to cells for example?   
Will the HTML file need to be parsed by another engine into a text file or can ODBC work with it directly?
Are special ODBC tags needed to be included in the report?
Is a special ODBC driver needed to convert the HTML info into SQL processing? If yes, who has one?

My ODBC experience has been limited to calling in database tables, spreadsheets, and other ascii/delimited files.  So I am really interested about the extra HTML coding and tags that would have to be utilized/ignored.  Thanks again for listening.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #18 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl - 

You are absolutely right; I never saw your "original reply" (in another thread) until I read your message here.  Once again, it is very good to be "in touch."

For quite some time I migrated back and forth between New York and Tampa.  When I couldn't stand it any more (about 2 or 3 years ago, now), I moved to Tampa and am extremely happy to be here.

I'll be looking forward to future contact.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print