Normal Topic Need help with Import Spec Manager (Read 2955 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Need help with Import Spec Manager
Jan 5th, 2005 at 1:36am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Please share the technique you use to create an import spec of ALL fields from a form.

Since my form has 100+ LEs and many of them are unbound, its awefully difficult to get the import specs exactly right.

Do you wrestle with the same thing; weeding out the unbound fields, rearranging the LE's, making sure the field numbers match, reading the server log to find out how many fields you missed? Or do you have a secret you can share with everyone?

Also, how do you deal with the fact that the LE names "jump" to the top or bottom of the list when you click on them to select them? Is there a way to make them sit still? Will a saved Import Spec need to be re-created if I 'move' an LE to a different position on the screen?

"Export All" is fabulous, why can't I also just "Import All" and be done with it?

Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated!

Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Need help with Import Spec Manager
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 3:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Steve,

Quote:
Do you wrestle with the same thing; weeding out the unbound fields, rearranging the LE's, making sure the field numbers match, reading the server log to find out how many fields you missed?

The short answer is Yes. I go through the same things you go through in order to set up the import spec. So as you can imagine building that spec took a fair amount of time.

I do however know a few tricks.

When you are dealing with an import spec like this the first thing you want to do is export one record from your application with the Field Name Headers option turned on. This way you can open the ASCII file and see the order of the fields. I find it best to open it in a spreadsheet program that way each field is separated.

The next thing you do is choose Set All on the import spec. The first line will say "Ignore Column" you will want to turn that off. By choosing Set All you already have the order that you need, all you have to do is turn off the unbound elements.

Then starting from the top of the import spec go through and compare. Now note the names that appear in the spec  window are the element names and the names in the export file are the actual field names. They may be different or they may be the same, So be careful. If the names don't match up, I usually go onto the next few and see if they match up. If they do then that first one matches up as well.

Take your time, do it slow and do it right. It is best to double check as you go, as it helps save you from getting to the end, running your import and finding out that you missed one along the way.

Quote:
Also, how do you deal with the fact that the LE names "jump" to the top or bottom of the list when you click on them to select them? Is there a way to make them sit still?

I am not sure what you mean by this Steve, could you elaborate on what you mean?

Quote:
Will a saved Import Spec need to be re-created if I 'move' an LE to a different position on the screen?

It does not need to be re-created, but it needs to be changed so that the order of the fields in the export file matches the order of the elements in the spec. The exception to this is if you move an unbound element. Also If you add an element to the form you will need to add it to the correct spot in the import spec.

Quote:
"Export All" is fabulous, why can't I also just "Import All" and be done with it?

The reason you can't is because your export file only has the data from the bound elements in it.  Now if your form only had bound elements then you could Export All and then Import All after turning off the ignore column.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 5:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I will refer to this thread before doing my next import. It's nice to know that the we, the users, have the same tools that the "Pros" use.

Regarding the issue of the LE Slots 'jumping out of view'; when using the mouse to rearrange the LE slots, the LE being selected is scrolled out of view. I then have to scroll through the list to find it again, then I can mark the box to import it. Usually, the LE's at the top of the list can be selected fine, but the issue gets worse the further down the LE is in the list. This makes the job very aggravating. Perhaps only my app has this issue. Please take a look at my app if this doesnt make sense. It is very easy to reproduce by just clicking on random LEs.

Thanks again for all your help.

Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Steve,

ah I understand you know. It is a bug that is on the list to be fixed. Until it is, Hit the up arrow and then the down arrow after you select the element and it scrolls out of view in the spec editor. This will bring you back to that element on the list faster than scrolling.

Another thing that you may find helpful when creating large specs is to make the spec window bigger.

In general I find it easier to set up a spec using the keyboard.
The Shift key and the Up or Down arrow moves the current element up or down the list.
The Space bar turns an item on or off.
The Up and Down arrows by themselves move to either the element above the current one or the element below depending on which key you hit.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 1:57am
Print Post Print Post  
It seems to me that the export list should not show the unbound elements, or they should be greyed out since they will not be exporting anything. This will enable a quick "Export All" / "Import All".

When a form has 150+ LE's, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to know which ones are unbound.

In any case, I'm relieved to hear that this issue is considered a bug and not acceptable by Lantica's Standards.

I'll use your keyboard technique until it's fixed.

Thanks again for your time.

Steve

IP Logged