Normal Topic HELP files (Read 2793 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

HELP files
Mar 19th, 2005 at 9:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
When I clicked on 'help' in my Sesame database I was getting the PLOP! - No help files found.  When I pressed F1,I got the same PLOP! but  it gave me a message with a little more information and told me that no Help Files were found in C:\Program Files\Sesame\Program.

Using Windows Explorer I found that my help files were in C:\Program Files \Sesame\HelpFiles.  I moved them to the Program folder and that seems to have corrected the problem.

I am curious, though, why they wound up in the Sesame folder, in the first place, rather than in the (Sesame) Progam folder.  Any ideas?

(I had used a standard installation except that I changed the path from C:\Sesame to C:\Program Files\Sesame).

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: HELP files
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 9:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
The HelpFiles directory is always expected to be relative to the current working directory on the client (also called the "Start In" directory - by MSWin), unless the SESAME_HELP_PATH environment variable has been set. That way the end user can have different help files for different applications and different client computers - by placing the files where needed and setting the CWD appropriately.

While it may be a good idea to set the executable path under the "Program Files" directory (or in Linux: "/usr/local/bin"), it is probably better to set the CWD somewhere else.  That way you can create, rename, and rearrange, directories and files well away from the executables that make your computer go.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 10:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Check the Start In directory on your shortcut. It should be
c:\program files\sesame

NOT

c:\program files\sesame\program

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2005 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe that my shortcut is right and that's part of the reason I am still confused:

The Target is: 
"C:\Program Files\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe"

Start in is:
"C:\Program Files\Sesame\"

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged