Normal Topic Start @number at 1 (Read 3153 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Start @number at 1
Mar 21st, 2005 at 4:45am
Print Post Print Post  
I have converted a database that contains a number layout element imported from another (MS Access) database.

It contains a number LE with numbers into the hundreds of thousands.

Since the database contains less than 2,000 records, I wanted them re-numbered. I created a new layout element call TEMP NEW ID and ran a mass update using @number in the field.

Since I have never used @number in this database before, I expected it to start at number 1.  Instead, it took the highest number from the 'old' (a completely separate) layout element and began numbering from there.

Any suggestions as to how I can get this NEW layout element field and the only one I itend to use @number in ... to start numbering at 1?

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Start @number at 1
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 5:40am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Spencer,
Sesame Designer -> Application -> Application Property Manager -> put  0    in the @Number

When you reconciling, in the second item which ask whether you want to reset the @number?  (something like that) -  You want to choose "Yes",   the default is "NO".

Please let us know if this works.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 5:40am
Print Post Print Post  
Open the app in Designer, and select "Application Property Manager" under the Application branch. There you will see @Number on the 3rd line down.

Edit: Looks like Bharat_Naik beat me to the punch by a few seconds.Smiley (We both have a time stamp of 12:40.)

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 5:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you - thank you - thank you. 

Worked like a charm and I couldn't have done it without both of you.  As it turns out the Property Manager already contained '0' in the @number element.

I have never, up until now, had the need to change the default when I reconciled my database.  This time, I did change the option to reset the @number to 'yes'.

The whole thing was done in less than 2 minutes.

Carl - you might get a kick out of the fact that the only thing I knew to do was press Control/F8 (from the old Q&A days) and you might well imagine the disappointment and frustration I experienced when nothing happened.  Imagine the look I must have had on my face!  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 3:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Carl - you might get a kick out of the fact that the only thing I knew to do was press Control/F8 (from the old Q&A days) and you might well imagine the disappointment and frustration I experienced when nothing happened.  Imagine the look I must have had on my face!  lol

Yeah, I've been there too. Smiley  It's hard to break old habits, isn't it.

BTW, Bharat deserves the only thanks. He had the real answer you needed - the part about changing the reconciliation default from no to yes. My answer was not complete, and I'm afraid that you may well have been even more frustrated if you saw the @number set to "0" in Designer, but didn't see the results in runtime.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 3:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK Carl -

That being the case, you 'owe me one' because I already thanked you and I'm not taking it back.  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged