Normal Topic This might save someone aggravation.. (Read 2049 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

This might save someone aggravation..
Mar 21st, 2005 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
I had translated all my Q&A databases to Sesame and while looking forward to have version 1.04, I was taking it easy. I also needed to have sometime off to crystalize my thinking as to what databases I have to put in one application and which I have to keep separate and just use with xlookups. Also some forms related consideration etc., I did not feel like putting more time, moreover Q&A was doing job for me, so there was no urgency. Knowing fully well, I have to move to Sesame, I was ready to go back to the work I had already done. To my utter surprize all my xlookups didnot work. Even looking up data from the same application using @FN did not work. I have used quite a bit of xlookupr with 999999999 to produce next higher number. In hind sight, now I can say that it was xlookup problem but I did not know what had changed. I had done all that work and it was working perfect and now nothing seemed to be working. Very discouraged but toiling with all the debugging tools and changing codes here and there did not take me anywhere near to solution. Ultimately I narrowed it down the problem to be xlookupsm. Unfortunately, Sesame does not give any indication that xlookups are not working until you debug it using @error and/or assign value to variables and display it in Writeln screen. I believe something  was changed in version 1.04 to reflect this change in the form of having xlookups working before but not after new version.

Suddenly it struck me that there could be security issue. I never thought of security issue initially because I was doing internal lookups (looking up from the same application using @FN). Once done that solution is simple in the form of going in the security manager and putting username and password in the application setting.

Hope, my experience will save someone time and fustrations.

IP Logged