Normal Topic Universal Escape routine, etc. (Read 988 times)
jfreeman

No personal text

Universal Escape routine, etc.
Apr 13th, 2005 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
As a Q&A user/developer, one of my most essential tools is a macro that, from ANY place on Q&A's standard (or single-layer custom) menus, saves any open form or Write document and returns to the Main Menu, the place from which all other macros run.  I never had to develop this to do things like saving specs under construction or setting Global Options because my applications and operators all used the same settings - but it could  be done.  No need to say I need such a routine in Sesame already!

Before I bust a gut re-inventing the wheel, has anyone tackled this one?

While I'm at it, here's another query.  Another of my necessary tools is the batch file that launches my Q&A with an auto-run macro.  I have macros that  'pick up' information from Write documents used as Help screens within the macro, and write this back to the current macro file, save it and exit Q&A, reloading with the modified macro file active, and perhaps a different macro running (the batch file contains many different start switches).  The modified file can now run macros containing the 'picked-up' information.  For instance, using this technique one can insert a retrieve spec phrase automatically into multiple  fields in a database to perform complicated Mass Updates achieving something very like the Sesame 'Result Set' behaviour.  One can also generate Reports from sub-sets within a database that are automatically retrieved and titled.

Does THIS have a Sesame equivalent?

Shalom

John Freeman

John F

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Universal Escape routine, etc.
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2005 at 3:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
John,

For your first question, take a look at the SetDefaultTab command. This allows you to set up a menu form. Any time a user exits any tab, they will be returned to your menu. There is a small example of this in the Sesame Library. See the Creating An Automated Menu example under the Sample Applications section.
http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesame_library.html

For your second question, most of what you describe can be done with SBasic rather than using macros. For example, the On Retrieve Spec Open event allows you to prefill retrieve parameters, load saved retrieve specs, etc.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

jfreeman

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 11:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Team!

Thanks for causing enough perplexity for me to decide to download the new manuals (not available in South Africa in hard copy yet).  I had, of course, never heard of SetDefaultTab.  If all is not yet perfectly clear, it soon will be!

Shalom

John Freeman  Cheesy

PS Why won't my download manager work with your downloads?    Cry

John F

IP Logged

jfreeman

No personal text

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2005 at 11:14am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Team!

Thanks for causing enough perplexity for me to decide to download the new manuals (not available in South Africa in hard copy yet).  I had, of course, never heard of SetDefaultTab.  If all is not yet perfectly clear, it soon will be!

Shalom

John Freeman  Cheesy

PS Why won't my download manager work with your downloads?    Cry

John F

IP Logged