Normal Topic International Sesame (Read 1384 times)
WhiteCrow

No personal text

International Sesame
Apr 21st, 2005 at 10:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has used Sesame in a non-english enviroment.  A customer (in Germany) has 7 Q&A Databases that manage his entire business information which we are considerung re-writing in PHP/MySQL or Sesame.  I did try it in Access but gave up after too many crashes.
I would prefer to use Sesame but would like to know:

1. Is it possible to change all 'normal-user' menu commands to German so users can understand what they are using?

2. What does the future for Sesame look like?  When we upgraded to Q&A Version 5 we were surprised as Symantec suddenly stopped all support in Germany - we don't want anything similar happening.

I am using the Trial Version at the moment and am getting on very well.  I have completed all the tutorials and am happy with it's ease. 

Only one thing to knock - The trial version could have had a (Time-Restricted) Translate mode to evaluate its powers and recognise potential problems.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: International Sesame
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 12:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
1. Is it possible to change all 'normal-user' menu commands to German so users can understand what they are using?

There are commands such as AddToTranslationTable and @RelabelTreeItem that allow you to replace the text that appears in the Sesame interface.

Quote:
2. What does the future for Sesame look like?  When we upgraded to Q&A Version 5 we were surprised as Symantec suddenly stopped all support in Germany - we don't want anything similar happening.

We're not planning on going anywhere.  We can't predict the future, but it is our intent to continue to develop Sesame.

Quote:
I am using the Trial Version at the moment and am getting on very well.  I have completed all the tutorials and am happy with it's ease.

That's good to hear. Thank you for letting us know. 

Quote:
Only one thing to knock - The trial version could have had a (Time-Restricted) Translate mode to evaluate its powers and recognise potential problems.

We've tried to be very straightforward in the various Q&A translation guides about what does and does not translate, where you can expect issues, and how to minimize translation difficulties.

The trial version is to allow people to try Sesame itself. Clicking "Translate" will only take a moment. It's Sesame that you'll be working with from that point forward.

We do know that we'll do a far better job translating your Q&A database than anything else you could migrate to.  Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

WhiteCrow

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 9:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
There are commands such as AddToTranslationTable and @RelabelTreeItem that allow you to replace the text that appears in the Sesame interface.
Smiley

Thanks for the fast reply Hammer.  If I have understood the handbook correctly then I will need to program each application to ensure the menu tree is "relabeled".  - I like the new programming function 'Export all to text file'  which should then make the re-label task very easy.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2005 at 1:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
An upcoming version of Sesame is very likely to have an initialization file that includes a command that adds strings to the translation table on startup (as well as a number of other commands folks have been asking for).

In the meantime, may I suggest that instead of hardcoding the translation table into application programming, use the the file I/O commands to read in a text file containing the "from" strings and "to" strings. That way the end user can make adjustments to the translation as needed without redesigning the app, and the same file can be used across multiple applications.

Remember when using AddToTranslationTable that the "from" string must be an exact and whole match for the entire string to be translated. It is a good idea to try to keep the "to" string as close in length to the "from" string as is practical. Also, note that the translation only affects the display of the string - not the string itself. So if you are changing a command tree string and also using @SelectTreeItem, the @SelectTreeItem call will use the untranslated string - even though the translation appears on the screen.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

WhiteCrow

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2005 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
First off, Thanks very much for the excellent help.

I have managed to change the Menu Tree to German text without much bother and it works well from a text file.

I am now trying to find how to re-write or translate the pop-up messages to German as well. 

e.g. On exit 'Add Data' mode without committing the record, a pop-up message appears asking if I still want to exit without saving.

The other 'little-bit' is the D & A letters used for Decending / Ascending in the Sort box.  In German they would be Absteigend & Aufsteigend which I would shorten to AB & AS as they are in the German Q&A 5.0   I have a feeling that this may not be possible.

BTW - I have sent my order with the KMP Code today - Can't wait to get started with the transition from Q&A 5.0
Wink

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 1:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good news and bad news:

The good news first - the popups respond well to being translated. To translate the popup you are referring to you will need something like this:

AddToTranslationTable("The current record has been changed and has not been committed to the database.", "Another String")
AddToTranslationTable("Are you sure you want to close this record?", "Yet another string again")
AddToTranslationTable("Yes", "Yup")
AddToTranslationTable("No", "Nope")

The bad news - the individual lines in the spec handler window do not undergo the translation to avoid accidentally translating an LE name. I have since reconsidered and the individual lines in the spec handler window will be translatable in the next release. In addition, I am making it so that that symbol labels may be used in the "to string". This will allow you to replace the "A" and "D" of sorting with a small up or down arrow.

Of course, any changes I am making will be subject to testing and may be re-reconsidered by the marketing folks.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

WhiteCrow

No personal text

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The bad news - the individual lines in the spec handler window do not undergo the translation to avoid accidentally translating an LE name. ............. may be re-reconsidered by the marketing folks.

Roll Eyes Before the Marketing folks start any re-considerations I may be able to teach the Customer's Staff just a little English to get by... Grin

IP Logged