Normal Topic Export Sort Order (Read 900 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Export Sort Order
Apr 22nd, 2005 at 4:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Here's another task that I feel should be simple and I must be overlooking something.

I am exporting the following fields:

Mail Name
   Street Address
   Apt
   City
   State
   Zip

In my Sesame database I retrieve the records I want to export (that does not present any problem ... the appropriate records are exported).

I then sort the records by Last Name, First Name and in the database, they are shown in proper sequence.

I then export the fields to a text file.  When I open the text file, the records are sorted alphabetically by the Mail Name instead of by Last Name.

I must be overlooking something but cannot, for the life of me, figure out what. Help would be appreciated.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Export Sort Order
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 12:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

Exported records automatically sort based on the fields being exported.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 12:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

I ran into this issue also. I was sorting by Last Name before exporting, but the records in the export file were sorted by First Name. So I moved Last Name to the top of the export spec, and this fixed the sort order for me.

You may need to included the Last Name element in your export at the top of the export spec. This will cause the data to be sorted by Last Name. And then just don't use Last Name in the merge document. (I'm assuming you are using the file in a merge document.)

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Apr 22nd, 2005 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Phew -

Thanks Erika for letting me know that I'm not getting senile (or at least this particular incident can't be used to prove it)!  lol

& Thanks Carl, for suggesting a simple solution.  To get the proper order I will need to export both the last and first names ... no big deal once you know it must be done.  

& yes, you are right, Carl, I will be using the exported file in a merged document, and will simply ignore those two fields.

All-in-all, it's probably easier to add the two fields than to have to use a separate sort spec.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged