Normal Topic sesame daemon (Read 1466 times)
beagle

No personal text

sesame daemon
Jan 5th, 2005 at 10:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi,

Not knowing much (anything) about netorks, can someone explain in simple terms the benefits or drawbacks of running sesame in daemon mode ?

many thanks in advance

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: sesame daemon
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 2:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi,

Not knowing much (anything) about netorks, can someone explain in simple terms the benefits or drawbacks of running sesame in daemon mode ?

many thanks in advance

The advantage of running Sesame server in daemon mode is that it has no user interface. That means that it will run on Linux without having to run X11 Windows (the graphical user interface on Linux) and that it will run happily as a "service" under MSWindows (which does not provide user interface stuff to its designated "services"). Running Sesame server as a service has the advantage of allowing the server to start when the operating system starts up, without having to have a user logged in.

The disadvantage is that it has no user interface. Normally, when you specify "Sesame -server MachineName" a window appears providing some feedback to the user / administrator about the activity of the running server. It also provides an Emergency Shutdown button for those occasions when the meteor is about to hit or the tornado is on the horizon.

Trying to run any program with only a client / networked interface is not recommended unless you are very operating system aware, and know how to manage tasks and processes from the interfaces that the operating systems provide. Running Sesame as a service, means that you will have to remember to turn it off, or disable the service, on those occasions that you do not want Sesame running.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

beagle

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 10:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation - i think i'm a little wiser now Smiley

beagle

IP Logged

QuArk

Aladdin never had it this
good...

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2005 at 9:43am
Print Post Print Post  
I would like to run Sesame server as a service under Windows so it starts with Windows and is always available to those on my network. I have read the User Guide and haven't discovered the section on how to start Sesame in Daemon mode.
Can you advise the specifics of how to do this please.
The PC that I currently have Sesame server running on is not used as a workstation except in emergencies (very rarely) and is used to supply mainly Sesame to users. I need Sesame available automatically in the event the PC falls over and auto-reboots.
At the moment I have a shortcut in Startup to auto-start Sesame server.

IP Logged