Normal Topic Copying a database (Read 1018 times)
wildwood

No personal text

Copying a database
Apr 29th, 2005 at 3:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a database, "Camper Sports Billing", in one of my applications. It has some extensive programming. I would like to create a new database, "Camper Medical Billing", within the same application but basically an exact copy of the "Camper Sports Billing" database. I would then tweak the "copy" to fit my needs. How do I copy a database within the same application?

Peter

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Copying a database
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 4:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have not done this and never have to do this, but the following should logically work. Make backup of your application. Give whatever name you want to give. In the backup application, change the name of database and form or forms so no database or form has the same name as in the original application. Merge these two applications.

PS: Before you attempt anything, make certain you have good backup copy of your original application.  Please let us know if this works.

Bharat

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Copying a database
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2005 at 6:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat_Naik is correct in his suggestion.  I would just add a few more notes about the process.

In the copy of the application remove all databases, forms, reports that you do no want copied.  Or else, when you merge, you will get duplicates of everything.  Rename the database, forms, etc. in the copied application before you do the Merge. 

Do the Merge by opening the original, and then merging the copy into that one.  And Merge does not happen in the  Designer, it is done in the Database Manager.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged