Normal Topic Ascii or Ansi Problem (Read 872 times)
WhiteCrow

No personal text

Ascii or Ansi Problem
Apr 29th, 2005 at 10:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have just exported 12000 records from Q&A 5 German DOS as Standard Ascii with comma delimiter and with quotes. 
I have looked through them using Windows Commander and they look perfect.
If I look at them with Windows Explorer then they are incorrect in as much as all special characters (umlauts) are shown wrong.  (strange symbols and squares etc)
On import into Sesame they are also shown incorrectly. 

I must have some setting that needs adjusting somewhere and I would be grateful for any tips or tricks.

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Ascii or Ansi Problem
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2005 at 1:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame expects and uses ISO-8859-1/15 code pages for fonts. Q&A used a proprietary character definition table (as seen in the back pages of the Q&A manual).

I don't know if there are any filters available that can go back and forth between ISO and Q&A code pages. The Q&A translator in Sesame does do this, but only for the graphical elements on the form (i.e.: lines), not for the data itself - which we try to leave as unaltered as we can.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

WhiteCrow

No personal text

Re: Ascii or Ansi Problem
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2005 at 10:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
My Sesame arrived this morning Cheesy and so I have managed to translate a Database.  The translated Data and Labels with Umlauts are all shown correctly.  There must be a difference between the technique used in Translate and Import.  One thing for sure though, gross turn-over has gone up dramatically since using Sesame.  A book sold for 14.89 Euros now shows as 1,489,0000,000  Roll Eyes

Just out of interest, how many Sesame users do we have in Germany?

IP Logged