Normal Topic Auto-refresh in Property editor (Read 723 times)
WhiteCrow

No personal text

Auto-refresh in Property editor
May 13th, 2005 at 8:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Is it possible to have the values in the property editor to auto-refresh when clicking on a LE and bringing it into focus?  I find it unusual and tedious having to click F5 to fetch it's present value every time.  Is it also possible to have a coordinate box to show the present position and size of an object when it's in focus?

Is there a specific reason for the way it's done at the moment?

I am asking because I have done a lot of work with MS Access and am used to this sort of approach.  What do other Sesame users think about these options?

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Auto-refresh in Property editor
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2005 at 12:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you aware of the Property Viewer?

It will show the currently selected element's properties. It appears just below the Property Editor.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Auto-refresh in Property editor
Reply #2 - May 13th, 2005 at 12:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is there a specific reason for the way it's done at the moment?

I am asking because I have done a lot of work with MS Access and am used to this sort of approach. 

I've done a lot of work in Access also, which is why I designed Sesame Designer to work the way it does. Smiley

The Property Viewer (below the Property Editor) always shows the current settings for whatever you have selected, including coordinates.

The Property Editor retains the last selections you made. This allows you to quickly make the same adjustments and changes across different groups of elements. Unless you are constantly renaming or relabeling elements, you shouldn't normally need to pull in the current property value.

I believe that this arrangement has several advantages,  including the ability to have the original value for reference up until the point you actually commit the change. It also allows us to put advanced selection controls (like the color chips) right on the surface of the GUI, rather than having to bring up a dialog boxes or pop-out menus for everything.

There were things I found very frustating in Access that I did not want to duplicate in Sesame. For example, in Access, if you select 10 controls, and one of the controls does not have a particular property, you can't change that property for any of the selected controls. In addition, you can't easily tell which of the 10 selected controls is causing the property you want to be unavailable.

If you are interested in the reasons why we did certain things, take a look at Appendix 3 in the Sesame User Guide. It explains the design philosophy behind Sesame and details the reasoning behind some of the choices we made.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged