Normal Topic Sesame printing similar to Q&A print spec? (Read 469 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Sesame printing similar to Q&A print spec?
Jun 7th, 2005 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've just started evaluating Sesame for use in moving on from Q&A 5.0.  We use Q&A to create Workorders, and Invoices based on these Workorders.  We have Print Specs saved that print Workorders onto a 2-page pre-printed form and Invoices onto a pre-printed Invoice form (the Q&A data "fills in the blanks" on the forms).

I understand that Sesame will not translate these print specs, so if I am to make use of the product I'll need to find a way to make it perform a similar function.  To be specific, in one instance, I'll need it to print the Invoice number on line 6 starting at character 50 and continuing for 6 characters, in Double-Width Pica.

Can Sesame do this?  If so, can someone point me towards the part of the program that allows for these types of print designs?

Captain Infinity

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame printing similar to Q&A print spec?
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2005 at 5:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
The PrintString command (and related commands) allow you to print at precise positions. These commands are ideal for use on preprinted forms because they allow you to place data very precisely.

In addition, unlike with Q&A Print Specs, the values you print do not have to exist on your Form. So, if you have extra "print only" fields that do nothing but print values, you will no longer need them.

The Sesame Seasons sample application demonstrates using PrintString to create and print an entire Invoice document using the PrintString family of commands.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged