Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Unlocking a File (Read 1985 times)
Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Unlocking a File
Jun 13th, 2005 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
What is the proper procedure for unlocking a file ?

It seems I can never unlock it locally at the client level from the Server Administration option.  It doesn't seem to have any action associated with unlocking it either other than clicking on the file.

Also it appears that I can't unlock it from the Server client session either. 

The only way to unlock the application is to stop the server altogether which seems puzzingly.  If you are working on a DSR file, you don't want to lock all the users out of their DB files.

Can you let me know if I am doing something wrong or if it supposed to work another way ?

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Unlocking a File
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 9:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Proper procedure for unlocking a locked Sesame file.

Make sure that the file is not actually in use by anyone.
Make sure Sesame server does not show the file as loaded.
Open a Sesame Client
Try to open the file to verify that it is locked
If it does not load and gives an error saying "Database .... failed to open" then continue on in the steps.
Click File->Server Administration
Click the logs tab.
You will see an error that says something along the lines of "Failure while opening application". Make sure that at the end of that error it says "Application is already being served". If it says something like "Failed to read a record", or anything along those lines then unlocking the DB is not going to fix your problem. You need to contact Technical Support.
Click the Unlock Application Tab
Click once on your DB file
Status will say "Unlocked DBPath\DBName.DB"
Click Exit

If you have a version older than 1.1.1 or 1.1.0(not sure which) then you cannot unlock from a client you must unlock from the server computer.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2005 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray:

We are on V.1.1.2 of Sesame.

The next time it happens, I will follow these procedures and check to see that messages are consistent with what you indicate.

I did notice that viewing the log is different at the local Client level than it is at checking the Client at the server level.  Does this make sense or is there some inconsistency here ?

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
The log at the client is for that client. The log at the server is for both Sesame server and the Sesame client on that computer providing that they both have the same working directory.

I believe the logs tab was changed to read "Local Log" to avoid this type of confusion. The log you are reading is the one for that computer and that working directory.

So if on one computer you have two sesame clients. One with the default start in of C:\Sesame and the other starting in C:\MyJobs. Each of those clients will have their own log file as they start in different directories. You will not be able to read Client B's log file from Client A.

Also since we are on the subject of the logs there is something that I must stress to anyone who is going to read this. Do not delete your log files ever, unless you are no longer going to be using sesame on that computer. Those log files are not just there for you, they are also there for technical support. At times we need to see them so we can figure out what has happened and possibly what caused it. So don't delete them, and don't open them in a word processor.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 2:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray:

Thanks for the clarification.

One more question related to the log file.

When I work on current Sesame applications outside the office, I currently copy the DSR and DB files from the server onto my laptop including the log file.   If I have made any changes, I copy everything back onto the server before users come in.

Does this corrupt the log file in any way ?

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2005 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Nope that does not corrupt the log file at all. The only problem I can see is an older log being copied over a newer log.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 3:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray:

I locked up my DSR file again, this time by copying an existing report layout.  The name I assigned it was the same as an existing report and it booted me out.  This happened to me on another occasion.  It's too bad, Sesame can't warn you that this situation exists and then prompt you if you want to continue.

Anyhow, I followed the steps above to unlock the file and I cannot unlock from either my computer nor the server. 

My local log does not even indicate a failure.

The server log indicates the following:

server_warning S_ENG 510141 failure while opening DSR: c:/sesame/data/FP500.dsr - dsr in use.

Looks like I will have to bring down Sesame server again.

Let me know if you think of anything.

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 6:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
The bug with naming reports has recently been written up and the fix will be in version 1.1.3 I believe.

This is not an Unlock problem. If you look in the steps that I wrote, step #2 says to "Make sure Sesame server does not show the file as loaded". Sesame server still has that DSR file loaded.

All unlock does is reset a flag in the DB or DSR file that says no Sesame Server or Standalone Sesame process is using you. The DSR file that you have is being used by someone, and that someone is your Sesame Server.

The reason you can't open it is because the Sesame Server keeps a count of how many people are in a DB or DSR file. If the count is set to zero then the application is unloaded from the Sesame Server and unlocked so that other Server's or Standalone Sesames can use it.

When a client crashes or is suddenly shut down, the server does not receive a message saying that they are done with that file. So the count of how many people are in that file does not go down.

Another thing Sesame Server does is allow only one designer client to open any one DSR file at a time. So if a client already has the dsr loaded, then no other client can access that dsr file. Since your client crashed the reference count on the DSR file is still 1 meaning no one else can open it.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 7:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray:

So if the DSR crashes, the flag remains at 1 and the system thinks Sesame Server is still using the DSR file; then the only way to unlock the DSR is what I did - shutdown the Sesame server.   Is this correct ?

Otherwise, if it is a DB file, I should be able to follow the steps above.

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
So if the DSR crashes, the flag remains at 1 and the system thinks Sesame Server is still using the DSR file;

Mostly correct. Sesame server believes that there is a client that has that DSR open, since the flag is 1, So Sesame Server keeps that dsr file open.

Quote:
Otherwise, if it is a DB file, I should be able to follow the steps above.

If the Sesame Server is shut down improperly then yes you can follow the steps above. If a client crashes with the DB open you should not have to unlock, as the server will still have it loaded.

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 9:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray:

I locked the DSR once again.

This time I went to the client set up on the server.  I was able to unlock and open the DSR using this client on the server itself.  I assumed that this opened the DSR for any client.

But when I went to the client on my laptop, it still indicated that the DSR was locked.

Why is that ?

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged