Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Programmed Retrieve causing log errors (Read 2405 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Programmed Retrieve causing log errors
Jun 15th, 2005 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I keep getting errors in the log file that only show up when using a programmed retrieve spec AND while a subform is present on the main form. This is the retrieve spec I'm using on the main form in a date element: ..{@date+30}

This is the info that shows up in the log file:
client_warning     S_ENG 460050     LocalLink:  The field name "Note" is not valid.
client_warning     S_ENG 460050     LocalLink:  The field name "Amount" is not valid.
client_warning     S_ENG 460050     LocalLink:  The field name "Category" is not valid.
client_warning     S_ENG 460050     LocalLink:  The field name "Name" is not valid.

The log file shows no errors when I search without a programmed retrieve spec. It also shows no errors if I remove the subform element from the main form, and then use the programmed retrieve spec. But when these two things are present at the same time, I get the errors in the log file.

Let me know if you need more info, or if have not made myself clear.

Edit:
BTW, running a search with the programmed retrieve AND subform present also causes the search/update view to freeze up in runtime. It does not usually freeze in preview mode though.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Programmed Retrieve causing log errors
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Carl....

I have no suggestion re your log error, but this Quote:
It does not usually freeze in preview mode though.
caught my attention.  Remember that XLU family does not work in Preview.  Could this just be coincidence, or does part of your programmed spec use a XLU function?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 9:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

No, I didn't forget about that. Thanks for checking with me though. Smiley

Actually, since posting that edit, I found that it is locking up in preview mode also. Furthermore, it seems that it is exibiting the same random freeze/not freeze behaviour in both runtime and preview modes.

Besides all that, I even removed every bit of programming from the main form and the subform just to be sure (using a test copy of the application, of course).

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 9:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Carl,

I believe the reason for the errors is because you have fields in your main database named the same thing as fields in your subform's database. Am I correct that Note, Amount, Category, and Name appear on both forms?

I've tried this here with SesameSeasons, after adding 365 days to each date, and can not get Sesame to freeze. Exact same syntax as you had, I was even getting an error because I have a field named "Total" in both the Invoice database and the LineItems Database.

How many records do you have in the parent database?
How many records in the child database?
Relational or natural linking?

I was testing in 1.1.2

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 11:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I believe the reason for the errors is because you have fields in your main database named the same thing as fields in your subform's database. Am I correct that Note, Amount, Category, and Name appear on both forms?

Yes! You are correct. The errors went away after changing the field names for the subform.

But now the question is why didn't that cause a problem when using regular retrieve specs, as opposed to the programmed specs?

Quote:
How many records do you have in the parent database?
How many records in the child database?
Relational or natural linking?

Natural

Quote:
...and can not get Sesame to freeze.

Sesame did not freeze. The Search/Update view (or tab) froze. I could still use the Application tab or my custom main menu tab. Only the view of the Search/Update tab for the form I was performing the search in, would be frozen. I could still click on the "Record Navigation Toolbar" to navigate through the result set, but the form view did not show anything but the search screen with the retrieve specs. The "Search/Update Menu" tree showed, but would not accept any mouse clicks. If I minimized Sesame and then restored it's window, the area where I should see the form just showed the portion of my desktop that was in that area while Sesame was minimized. If I clicked on the Application tab so that the splash screen showed, then clicked back on the Search/Update tab, I would still see the splash screen. Likewise, if I clicked on the tab for my custom main menu, then back on the Search/Update tab, I would still be looking at a view of my custom main menu.

Maybe I should have said that the tab did not update it's view vs. saying that it froze.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 11:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Any idea why the programmed retrieve specs cause this problem while regular retrieve specs do not?

And what about the Search/Update tab not being able to update or redraw it contents?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

I can only speculate as to what it might be at this time. I'd have to have a look at it to see.

If you could send me your DB and DAT files I will have a look at this and see if I can get the tab to freeze up.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 11:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarh! Angry

After taking out sensitive data from the application, so I could send it in to you, I tried to run a search with a programmed retrieve to confirm that it was still having the problem. It caused Sesame to freeze completely. I had to kill Sesame via the O/S, and then unlock it. When I tried to open the app, it failed. The log file had this in it:
Failure to read a record at 2867.

The file sizes of the test app (with greatly reduce records) are still approximately the same as the originals. Should I have closed the app, then reopened it to "recover" the empty space before running a search? Do you think the original data is still in there or is it really empty space?

Is there any way I can fix an app that fails to read a record this way, or do I need to rely on a backup?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 4:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

I'm pretty sure I found what was causing the Search/Update tab to not update it's view.

This is strange to me, but maybe it will make some sense to you or someone else there at Lantica. I had to disable hyper-threading in my system BIOS to get the problem to go away.

Do you think that hyper-threading might have had something to do with Sesame crashing on me last night as well?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 3:58am
Print Post Print Post  
Good news for Sesame! Smiley Smiley Smiley

It must have been the video driver that was having some sort of trouble with Hyper-Threading. I have not seen the Search/Update tab freeze up since upgrading my video driver earlier today.

Although, I still have seen Sesame completely lock up once while Hyper-Threading was enabled and using a programmed retrieve spec. I think I will leave HT disabled, since I'm don't think very many programs take advantage of it anyway.

In any case, I'm glad to see that it wasn't really Sesame's problem. It still is strange that it only happened while using a programmed retrieve spec. Maybe it has something to do with programmed retrieve specs being more demanding of the CPU, which caused both virtual processors to be employed, setting the stage for instability?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 2:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
FYI: Hyper-Threading Considered Harmful
Quote:
Hyper-Threading, as currently implemented on Intel Pentium Extreme Edition, Pentium 4, Mobile Pentium 4, and Xeon processors, suffers from a serious security flaw. This flaw permits local information disclosure, including allowing an unprivileged user to steal an RSA private key being used on the same machine. Administrators of multi-user systems are strongly advised to take action to disable Hyper-Threading immediately; single-user systems (i.e., desktop computers) are not affected.

I presented details of how to exploit this security flaw at BSDCan 2005 in Ottawa on May 13th, 2005. For those who were unable to attend my talk, I have written a 12-page paper, Cache Missing for Fun and Profit, discussing this flaw and related problems, both realized and theoretical.

As with all Internet information, consider the source.
From: http://www.daemonology.net/hyperthreading-considered-harmful/

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

I would still like to see this application and to verify that it is not a Sesame problem.

Quote:
The file sizes of the test app (with greatly reduce records) are still approximately the same as the originals. Should I have closed the app, then reopened it to "recover" the empty space before running a search? Do you think the original data is still in there or is it really empty space?

You should not have needed to close the app and then reopen, in order to run a search.

Quote:
Is there any way I can fix an app that fails to read a record this way, or do I need to rely on a backup?

If a DB is failing to read a record, it Might be able to be recovered but it must be sent into Technical Support for recovery.

Quote:
Do you think that hyper-threading might have had something to do with Sesame crashing on me last night as well?

Hard to say. I'm not entirely convinced that hyper-threading is the culprit to begin with.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 7:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Although, I still have seen Sesame completely lock up once while Hyper-Threading was enabled and using a programmed retrieve spec. I think I will leave HT disabled, since I'm don't think very many programs take advantage of it anyway.

Sesame is a multi-threaded application, and will take advantage of multiple processors, hyperthreading, or multi-core. If you are running standalone, the client, server, and the communications are each handled by separate threads. If you are running client/server, all of the above and each individual command sent from the client to the server is handled by separate concurrent threads.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 10:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I would still like to see this application and to verify that it is not a Sesame problem.

You should already have it. It's the same one I e-mailed you on Saturday (06-18-05) named "Loses subform's sort spec window" regarding another issue.

Quote:
I'm not entirely convinced that hyper-threading is the culprit to begin with.

Well, I think it may have had more to do with my video driver in combination with HT, because I definately saw a difference after I upgraded it and left HT enabled. Before upgrading it, I could get the Search/Update tab to freeze up at least 1 once out of 3 to 5 tries. After upgrading it, I was NOT able to get to freeze up even once out of 50 or so tries.

Now that I see Mark has indicated that Sesame does use multi-threading, the only thing that I think might have been a Sesame issue is when it locked up completely while HT was enabled. Yes/no/maybe?

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 2:36am
Print Post Print Post  
I have to take back what I said about disabling Hyper-Threading. Since disabling it, I have been experiencing more problems with Q&A in one evening than I have in the last few years! At least three crashes or lock ups in as many hours! (I just hope it's not the new video driver causing these problems.)

I read in Microsoft's Knowledge Base that if Win XP was installed with HT enabled, there could be problems if you later disable it. But that was supposed to be resolved in Service Pack 2, which I do have installed. Maybe there is still something that wasn't taken care of in SP2.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 5:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

Is there a specific way you were opening your form to do the retrieve? If you could send me rough steps that caused this to happen before, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2005 at 1:21am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Quote:
Is there a specific way you were opening your form to do the retrieve? If you could send me rough steps that caused this to happen before, I would greatly appreciate it.

Sure.

1) Starting at the custom main menu, select the command button labeled "Search" .

2) Open the spec manager and select the "View Payables" retrieve spec.
(Sometimes I would paste "..{@date+30}" into the date element rather than load the saved retrieve spec.)

3) Close the spec manager and press F10.

I also was repeatedly pressing F7 and F10 to rerun the search, because sometimes it froze on the 1st run, and sometimes it took a few tries.

I'm not sure that you will be able to reproduce the problem. I just ran that search 50 times in a row without any abnormal results. But, good luck. Grin

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged