Normal Topic Security Settings and Reports (Read 904 times)
Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Security Settings and Reports
Jun 16th, 2005 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was under the impression that I could specifically restrict certain users (and Groups) from viewing reports through the Secuirty Manager, Layout and Layout Element Settings.

When I select a Report Layout, no elements nor Groups are available to change security settings on.  (It would be nice if I could select a report and assign access rights to individual users, not groups here).

So I was left with programming my REPORTS command button based on the user logging in.  Everything works the way it should as depending on the user, a pop up menu appears with only their available reports to choose from.  However,  I need someone to critique my programming style and offer any advice on how to make it more efficient as I am thinking that there is a better way to accomplish this through the use of stringarrays/loops (??).

Eventually things will get more complex in other databases as I progress.

Code pertaining to the users is as follows:

//Determines Users Choice of reports

If sGroup = "ADMINISTRATOR" OR
        SGroup = "EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT" OR      
        SGroup = "ACCOUNTING" OR      
        SGroup = "IT" OR      
        SGroup = "ADMIN" THEN
     {      
           vReport1 = "FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - CENTRAL (Preview);FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - EAST (Preview);"
           vReport1 = vReport1 + "FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - MISSISSAUGA (Preview);FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - NORTH (Preview);"
           vReport1 = vReport1 + "FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - SOUTH (Preview);FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - TORONTO (Preview);"            
           vReport1 = vReport1 + "FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - WEST (Preview);"
           vReport1 = vReport1 + "FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - CENTRAL (Preview);FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - EAST (Preview);"
           vReport1 = vReport1 + "FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - MISSISSAUGA (Preview);FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - NORTH (Preview);"
           vReport1 = vReport1 + "FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - SOUTH (Preview);FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - TORONTO (Preview);"
           vReport1 = vReport1 + "FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - WEST (Preview)"
           vReports = @PopUpMenu(vReport1, "SELECT A REPORT")      
     }
     else

If sUser = "CJW" then
     {
           vReports = @PopUpMenu("FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - CENTRAL (Preview);FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - CENTRAL (PREVIEW)", "SELECT A REPORT")      
     }
     else

If sUser = "RRK" then
     {
           vReports = @PopUpMenu("FP500 PROSPECT FOLLOW UP - EAST (Preview);FP500 PROSPECTS - CURRENT STATUS - EAST (PREVIEW)", "SELECT A REPORT")      
     }

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Security Settings and Reports
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 8:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Security for Reports can be found in Designer.

Application/Security Manager

Select tab for Layout and Layout Element settings.

Select the layouts (Forms and Reports) and assign secutiry.  Must already have Users and Groups defined.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 9:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
As stated above, when you select A Report Layout, it does not give you an option to set any security settings such as groups and their respective Read/Write/Execute settings. 

It seems the Security Manager has been designed to only allow you to set security on the Forms and their respective individual layout elements, and not on reports.  Is this correct ?

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Aha, I see what you mean.  If you click on the combobox for forms you will see reports listed.  But no elements are listed, and no capability to select users/groups read/write/execute like you can on forms.

I knew that I had seen the Reports listed there, but had not needed to set the security there.  My naming conventions use frm as prefix to Forms and rpt as prefix to Reports, so it was quite obviious that both Forms and Reports were in the combobox.

Looks like your programming approach will be needed.  Perhaps this is an oversight by Lantica and can be easily corrected with next release?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 1:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob:

I would love to be able to control reports from there, otherwise, it will require extensive programming in some databases to deal with users specific reports.

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 6:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Louis...from my reply:
Quote:
Perhaps this is an oversight by Lantica and can be easily corrected with next release?
I hope you did not misunderstand.

Like you , I am just a user, have no ability to make the changes in next release. 
It was a plea, for all of us, to have that done by the great folks at Lantica.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am encountering this problem now as I configure security settings for my databases.  Was a workaround ever designed, or perhaps this is something taken care of in 2.0?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged