Normal Topic Changing Active Control (Read 611 times)
JBMorris

No personal text

Changing Active Control
Jun 30th, 2005 at 7:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm redoing my very old  but very complex Q&A application in Sesame and getting excited about the possibilities.  But now there's something I'm trying to do that I can't find the way.  Only part of this was imported from Q&A, the other part is something that I'd just prefer to make it look better now that I'm not held back by Q&A's limitations.

When certain conditions are true when leaving a certain field, I want what appears to be a popup to appear with two fields for the user to fill in and a button to push to make it go get some data from another db and a cancel button.  From what I understand, I can't do this with any kind of true popup window.  So I tried to have a tab page (I will already have several tabs) that is invisible most of the time.  When the conditions are true leaving the field I want to make the invisible tab page visible and on top and move the user to the first field of that tab page. 

so my questions are

1.  How do I move the user to a specified field in programming?

and

2.  Can I do this with a single page of a set of tab pages?  and if so how?  Or heck, if there's a better way tell me that too.

IP Logged

JBMorris

No personal text

Re: Changing Active Control
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 2:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Followup: I found a reference to the ThrowFocus command so I'm trying that.  It wasn't in either of the printed manuals.  Sad

To be more clear on what I'm trying to do with the Tab Page - I have a field called BusinessSource.  If BusinessSource is DM (Direct Mail) I want to "pop up" a page asking for some information to identify the customer's record in the Direct Mail database.  The record will then be imported from the Direct Mail database (and marked for deletion there) and the user will be returned to the normal Data Entry process, where they will verify the imported data as well as gathering additional "new customer" data. 

In Q&A4 I did this by bouncing the user around to a few fields, then "on exit" programming on the last field to import the data, post the "delete" setting to the other database, xlookup to copy in the data, and returning to the correct field to resume the data entry process.  I'd rather do something in Sesame that doesn't rely so much on field navigation.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 3:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Throwfocus is on page 227-228 of the Sesame 1.1 Programming Manual.  It was added in version 1.0.1 and has been in the documentation supplement until the release of the new manuals.

There are several ways to accomplish this. One way is to prompt the user to input some information using @PromptForUserInput(). You would need to do it twice in order for them to enter two things. Or just have them enter the first piece of data separated by some character and then the second piece of data. You could then parse the pieces apart. @PromptForUserInput() is on pages 201-202 of the Sesame 1.1 Programming Manual

Another way is to have two more text elements on your form and two command buttons. When Business Source is DM you can move those elements up the form using XPos() and YPos() so they appear above the other elements. Once the user clicks Ok or Cancel the elements get moved back down the form.

I would not recommend using a tab to do this.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

JBMorris

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2005 at 1:40am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the info.  I think I'll use the PromptForUserInput approach - that sounds best for this application and these users.

IP Logged