Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Installing under Linux (Read 2567 times)
Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Installing under Linux
Jul 31st, 2004 at 8:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all!

I have been able to sucessfully install Sesame on a Windows computer but not on my Linux computer I unpacked the tarball from the website and placed the contents in the /usr/local/ directory. I also changed the path statement to incude the directory (/usr/local/sesame/Program/) with the executables. When I type either "sesame" or "sdesigner" in the terminal window I get the following response.

Henderson:~# sesame
sesame: error while loading shared libraries: libxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Henderson:~#

Anyone know anything about the missing libraries that it is talking about? I thought that Seasame was a stand alone executable.

If I try and double click on them to start them in the KDE graphical interface, I receive the following response:

Couldn't find the program 'sesame''

The Linux readme.txt says:

Because Sesame is every bit as flexible in its configuration as Linux,
we have refrained from providing a "hard coded" install. It is unlikely
that we could provide a single configuration that is appropriate for even
a handful of the desired configurations. Fortunatetely, Sesame will run
appropriately with little or no "standard" configuration. You can install
it and run it from any point in your filesystem.

I am running Linspire 4.5 (www.linspire.com) on my computer any help that anyone can give me in getting Sesame up and running would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Frederick 8)

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Installing under Linux
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 1:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame was compiled for Linux under Red Hat 7.3. The XML 1.0 library it links to is a standard .so (shared library) under that kernel. Today, on any OS that I am aware of, there are (unfortunately) a set of shared libraries that cannot be avoided by any executable and are not provided in a static alternative.

From your statement, ity appears that libxml.so.1 is not installed by default on Linspire 4.5. The link to download this library from Linspire is:

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_details.php?id=5169

According to Linspire pressing the "CNR" button will automatically download and install this library for you.

We tested the Sesame startup for library inclusion on Red Hat, Mandrake, and Suse Linux. These distributions all install all of the libraries we use by default. There are over one thousand different Linux distributions, many (like Linspire) will differ from the more popular distros on which libraries will be install by default. In most cases, if Sesame, or any other program, complains on startup that a standard library is not found, that library is available from the company or organization that provided the distribution.

I suspect that Sesame's inability to find the libxml library may be the cause of the icon's failure. After you have installed the needed libraries, try running Sesame from the directory in which you have installed it. If you are logged in as root, use the following syntax:

# cd /usr/local/sesame
# ./sesame

(Note: the command above begins with "dot slash" to tell Linux that you intend to run the program from "right here"). If that syntax  succeeds in launching Sesame, add "/usr/local/sesame" to your path in the appropriate .rc file for the shell you will be using. This is likely to be .cshrc or .profile in your home directory.

Remember that Unix is case sensitive - /usr/local/sesame is a different directory from /usr/local/Sesame.

In the meantime I will get on our Red Hat system and see if I can provide you with a list of the shared libraries Sesame is expecting by default on Linux.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 1:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
The shared libraries needed by Sesame 1.0.4 on Linux are:

libXext.so.6
libxml.so.1
libm.so.6
libpthread.so.0
libc.so.6
libz.so.1
libdl.so.2
/lib/ld-linux.so.2

Most Linux distros will automatically install all of these libraries. Some may make libxml, libz, and libXext optional. Libxml is the older XML library. Libz is a data compression library used (in Sesame) for images. and LibXext is a set of X11 (user interface) extensions.

Most of these .so files are required of any Linux executable, even system commands like ls, cd, and mv.

On Win32 Sesame (and virtually all Win32 programs) requires:

nafxcw
libcmt
kernel32
user32
gdi32
winspool
comdlg32
advapi32
shell32
ole32
uuid
odbc32
odbccp32
wsock32

As far as I know, all working Win32 OSs provide all of these .dll files. There are only a few advantages in running WIn32 over Linux, but a common distribution source would be one of them.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Aug 1st, 2004 at 3:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good work Mark.  Thanks.

The listings in that last message should be included somewhere in the next documentation package.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #4 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 3:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the information. I used Linspires Click-n-Run Warehouse to install the missing library and Sesame works fine now. 8)  I noticed that you said in your second email that this library is the old xml library. I take it that there is a new one. It there any reason that, that one was not used for Sesame? ???

I am guessing that since their is a new xml library available  Linspire only loaded that one by default. Linspire is designed as a desktop Linux not as a server Linux as so many distros are.

Lantica should talk to Linspire about selling Sesame via the click-n-run warehouse. It would take care of this issue of the missing library. The click-n-run warehouse automatically checks your system and then installs the need libraries and software for you. Currently there is nothing listed in the warehouse for a desktop database like yours. Yes, they have MySQL but that is beyond the average user.

Thanks again for the help in getting up and running!

FJH

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Aug 2nd, 2004 at 11:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi Mark!

Thanks for the information. I used Linspires Click-n-Run Warehouse to install the missing library and Sesame works fine now. 8)  I noticed that you said in your second email that this library is the old xml library. I take it that there is a new one. It there any reason that, that one was not used for Sesame? ???

We like to be on the cutting, but not bleeding, edge of technology. So, unless we need a specific feature only available in the latest version, we like to use slightly older versions, for their stabillity and maturity. The difference is in this case is in the specification of XML being used. We are not using XML's 2.0 features. We may use them in the subsequent releases.

Quote:
I am guessing that since their is a new xml library available  Linspire only loaded that one by default. Linspire is designed as a desktop Linux not as a server Linux as so many distros are.

I can't say for sure. If you look in /usr/lib - you may see a library called libxml2.so.* or libxml2.lib. XML1 and XML2 are not really version of the same library, so much as they are libraries for two different versions of the XML specification.

Quote:
Lantica should talk to Linspire about selling Sesame via the click-n-run warehouse. It would take care of this issue of the missing library. The click-n-run warehouse automatically checks your system and then installs the need libraries and software for you. Currently there is nothing listed in the warehouse for a desktop database like yours. Yes, they have MySQL but that is beyond the average user.

We are looking into getting Sesame (the trial version) included with several of the Linux distros.

Quote:
Thanks again for the help in getting up and running!

FJH

No problem. I hope you enjoy the benefits of using Sesame on Linux. Depending on your Linux configuration, you should be seeing a speed improvement over Win32 for the server, ranging from 30% to well over 600%. The memory management and file handling on Unix implementations is usually superb compared to Win32. You also get a lot more flexibility and control of the environment.

IP Logged

Jamesman

No personal text

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 9:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mr. Cow,

What types of word processors run with Sesame when using a KDE Linux desktop as the front end?

Thanks for your help.  Smiley

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 10:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Try using Open Office.org Writer, version 1.1.4, available at http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.4/index.html

May want to install JRE 5.0 first from http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 12:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mr. Cow,

What types of word processors run with Sesame when using a KDE Linux desktop as the front end?

Thanks for your help.  Smiley

Look for a processor that supports using an ASCII file as a data source. There is no ODBC driver for Sesame on Linux, but you can use the Windows ODBC driver on a Windows client attached to a Linux server. Or, if you value simplicity, use Extractor or Sesame on Linux to create an ASCII file and "attach" to that file in your document. Bob is right, I believe, that OpenOffice (at least) will do so. Finding out exactly how might take a bit of research.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 11:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have used OpenOfficeOrg Writer to make merge files with semicolon delimited *.txt files.  Usually include Field Names in the export header.  Writer treats the *.txt file as  a database in its Data Sources.  You can actually have multiple sources merged into the same document. 

This is using Writer in Windows, not in Linux, but I expect you should have the same success.

OpenOfficeOrg Suite is FREE, compatible with MS Word/Excel.

Current released version is 1.1.4, and quite stable.
Beta version 1.9.x is also available, but buggy (It is a BETA), so I would not recommend that installation.
--------------------------
I have also made ODBC connections to Sesame with Writer for merging files.  But Sesame does not provide proper table structures yet for sub forms, so its use is limited.  Could only recommend for single level databases. 

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Jamesman

No personal text

Reply #10 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 12:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you very much for your quick responses.   Cheesy

I've been experimenting with both KDE (Linux) and Windows as client environments.  I've noticed some unusual CPU utilization on the client side.  This occurs when Sesame is sitting idle on a form after everything's been loaded.  Under Windows XP SP2 with a P4 3GHz processor 512MB RAM, I was idle and noticed a CPU utilization of 15 - 20%.  I tried it on several platforms (Windows & Linux) with mixed hardware and received similar results.  Under KDE, Sesame almost becomes unusable when tabbing through fields.  I noticed that it took 50 to 99% of the processor at times.   Embarrassed

Our forms have many fields, buttons and drop down menus.  Any idea's on what's causing the high CPU utilization on the client end?  ???

Again, thanks for all your help.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2005 at 2:30am by Jamesman »  

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 11:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Our forms have many fields, buttons and drop down menus.  Any idea's on what's causing the high CPU utilization on the client end? 

No idea. Sesame is developed on Suse 9.3 running KDE. I haven't seen any unusual CPU utilization.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 11:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Is your Form programming running something as you tab through fields?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Jamesman

No personal text

Reply #13 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 2:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've tried running it with Debian 3.1, White Box Linux (Red Hat Enterprise clone) and Windows XP SP2.  Under Linux, I've tried both KDE and GNOME along with several different kernels just to be safe.  Basically, I've had pretty much the same results except that the Linux client seems to be worse.  It only appears to be happening on a few of our forms.  Undecided

However, I'm actually not the programmer, so I don't have an answer to your question Hammer.  I'm a systems engineer trying to evaluate the performance of this product as we get closer to deploying it to our company.  The developer is a big member or your community and will be in contact with you guys (gals) since this issue seems to have moved beyond my realm.

Thanks for all your help and quick responses.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 4:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
It sounds like certain forms have programming that is continually running/calculating/looping.  Something like that. Usually fixing this is simply a matter of moving the programming to a different event or including a conditional, so it only runs when it is actually needed.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged