Normal Topic RECORD LOCKED - VERY STRANGE (Read 1115 times)
putermann

No personal text

RECORD LOCKED - VERY STRANGE
Aug 24th, 2005 at 2:21am
Print Post Print Post  
I've just started working on an application. I've done no programing yet - the forms are little more than basic layouts. In one particular database I have about 50 records that I'll be using for testing. Today while flipping through the records in preview mode I came across 1 record that was completely greyed out - none of the fields were accessable and the status indicator said "LOCKED". It hasn't been that way - in fact that record was one of several that I had previously changed some data in.

How can this be ? I assume that something has become corrupt. It's only a test record but my concern is whether the database structure has become corrupt somehow.

Can anyone shed some light?

Putermann..

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: RECORD LOCKED - VERY STRANGE
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2005 at 1:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Putermann,

A record will show as locked if someone has it loaded and is looking at it. Is it possible that the same record was loaded in both Add Data mode and Search Update Mode of your preview mode? Do you have any subforms?

The flag for a locked record is not stored in the database or application itself, it is stored by Sesame in memory. So the lock is not a sign that your database structure is curropt.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

putermann

No personal text

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 1:40am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Ray;

Don't know what happened with that locked record. I closed and reopened the DSR a couple times and it persisted. Fortunately I had just copied the file a few minutes earlier and hadn't yet made any changes to the new one. The previous file was fine so I didn't waste any more time with it.

I seem to be getting more than my share of strange things lately - had an even stranger problem today that haven't had time to sort out yet. With this one if I have to go back to a previous file I'll have to redo quitea bit of stuff.

I have two forms attached to one of my databases. I wanted to rename one of the forms so I went into "Manage Layouts" and renamed it. Well when I exited and looked at the listings on the menu tree, to my amazement I see two identical listings for the database as well as both the attached forms! When I say identical, one was NOT listed as a sub under the other. Both were attached to the root! I went into "preview" and first opened one and examined it then closed it and opened the second one. The were both fully functional and contained the same record set.

Well I'm sure you can guess my next move. Yep - back to "manage Layouts" to delete one of them. I'm sure you also know what happened then - Both forms disappeared from both databases. The names of the databases are still on the menu but no forms are listed under them and of course they won't open. I'm not sure of how much value it'll be, but yes I did back up the DSR files before I did the delete so I still have the  original with the two-headed monster in it. I'm gonna mess with it awhile tonight and see if I can find a way to unscramble it. If it's strange you want - I got it.

Putermann..

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2005 at 1:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Send it to support@lantica.com and I will have a look at it. Be sure to include in the e-mail a brief description. The only time I have seen seen two databases with the exact same name and the exact same form(s)  is when one of the forms has been made a subform twice. This will cause your menu tree to look like this

Parent
-ParentForm
--Child
---ChildForm
--Child
---ChildForm

What version of Sesame are you running?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

putermann

No personal text

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 7:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Hey Ray;

Sorry I'm so long responding to your last post to me. I'm running  v1.12 and yah you're right - sort of - about dup listings being due to multi sub-forms. After my original post I did some investigating and came to realize the problem didn't arise from my renaming the form. The dup listing was already there. I had just not noticed it. It happened from another action I had taken just prior when I deleted a sub-form and then put it back again. I needed to change the key relational field that I had specified and of course the only way you can do that is delete the sub-form and set it up again. Well due to what I would consider a bug in Sesame, it doesn't actually delete the old database field name for the sub-form. When you setup the sub-form again and of course have to use a different name for the sub-form Sesame lists it right below the previouos one in the field list table. Manually deleting the old field name gets rid of the dup listings on the menu. My normal menu tree listing looks like this:

INVOICE HISTORY
--Invoice Data
VEHICLE HISTORY
--Vehicle Data
--SERVICE HISTORY
----Service Data
----Service Overview

The corrupted tree looked like this:

INVOICE HISTORY
--Invoice Data
VEHICLE HISTORY
--Vehicle Data
--SERVICE HISTORY
----Service Data
----Service Overview
--SERVICE HISTORY
----Service Data
----Service Overview

I deleted and reestablished the sub-form several times to test this and sure enough each time I ended up with yet another duplicate listing. The sub-form is of course located on the "Vehicle Data" form and displays some selected data from the "Service Data" form for all the child records related to the form being displayed in the "Vehicle Data" form in a read only table view. The "Service Overview" form was created for that purpose. Without getting rid of the dup tree listing, I decided to see what would happen if I created another sub-form to display some different data from the "Service Data" form based on a different relational link so I created "Test View" form with just a single element linked to a data element in the "Service Data" form. I then created a small sub-form in the "Vehicle Data" form to display the data. I then ended up with the following tree:

INVOICE HISTORY
--Invoice Data
VEHICLE HISTORY
--Vehicle Data
--SERVICE HISTORY
----Service Data
----Test View
----Service Overview
--SERVICE HISTORY
----Service Data
----Service Overview
----Test View
--SERVICE HISTORY
----Service Data
----Service Overview
----Test View

From a functional standpoint I don't know if duplicate listings like this would potentially cause a problem or not but can you imagine what would would happen if an "end-user" were to see such a menu - worse still is you see it twice - once for "Add Data" and again for "Update". They REALLY need to fix this!

BTW - I noticed when I went into "preview" "Update" mode to check out my "Test View" sub-form that each record I accessed in the "Vehicle Data" form was "LOCKED" I assume that was because Sesame mistakenly thought that two different users were trying to access the "Service Data" database at the same time?? Shouldn't it be able to tell the difference?? I know it was due to the second sub-form because I went back into Designer and deleted it and the records were no longer locked.

Putermann..

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 11:56am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Well due to what I would consider a bug in Sesame, it doesn't actually delete the old database field name for the sub-form.

We never delete the underlying field because you delete a form element. That data could be in use on another form or report. You may be deleting the element only ot change its type, like using a combo box instead of a text box. Since deleting the underlying field takes all of your data with it, we only delete fields when you explicitly tell us to do so, such as by using the Field Manager. A subform and a field are not the same thing, just like a text box and a field are not the same thing.

When you create a new subform, one of your choices is to use an existing field link instead of creating a new one. This will cause the subform to show any subrecords that already exist through that link. It will also prevent duplicates. The tree accurately shows the state of your data relationships. If you have two different subrecord links, the sub will appear twice under the parent.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged