Normal Topic linux user / root acces to same database (Read 664 times)
CloudBuilder

linux user / root acces to same database
Aug 25th, 2005 at 12:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

I'm using Suse 9.3 with KDE

Ihave installed Sesame in  /usr/local/Sesame

To activate Sesame or the Designer I use a script in which I can set some enviroment variables - the designer script is:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/Sesame
export PATH
export SESAME_BROWSER="firefox"
export SESAME_HELP_PATH="/usr/local/Sesame/HelpFiles"

/usr/local/Sesame/Program/sdesigner

This works, I have the same script in /root and in /home/user
(user = the name of the user)

The problem is, that if I design a database as ROOT I can only save it somewhere in the path /ROOT  or below.

If I design a database as USER I can only put it in the path /HOME/USER

This is not a problem, but with SESAME I can't access as ROOT the database from the USER. SESAME does not allow me to go to /HOME as ROOT. This is inconvenient because sometimes I'm root and sometimes I'm the user and I need access to the base on both levels.............

Did I miss something, I made some tries with other variables as SESAME_ROOTDIRS_PATH but this does not work.

I can always copy the databses with some tricks from the script, but that's only a workaround. Is there another solution?

CB

Slechts een ademtocht talm ik.........

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: linux user / root acces to same database
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 12:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
The SESAME_ROOTDIRS_PATH should be set to the location of the rootdirs.ini file. The contents of that file determines which directories can be accessed by sesame/sdesigner.

To access the entire system as the root user - create a rootdirs.ini file that contains just a single slash: "/". Set the environment variable as that user to point at the rootdirs.ini file.

For other users, create a rootdirs.ini file that limits their access to their own directories, and set SESAME_ROOTDIRS_PATH appropriately.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged