Normal Topic printing problem (Read 1078 times)
Sandpit

No personal text

printing problem
Sep 1st, 2005 at 6:53am
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry went to wrong forum B4... my second try !

I'm an old QA 4 dos guy. I have upgraded to Sesame. I am in a learning mode with the sesame. I still use the QA.
I have a new problem with trying to get printings from QA .
I just changed printers and now have a USB only port on my printer. How do I get info to my printer with out going the LPT1 or Com 1 ports . My Qa dosen't offer USB as a port choice !
I hope this isn't too dumb a question but I'm at a loss !
I would be grateful for any help

IP Logged

CapitalG
Members

Re: printing problem
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can go to http://www.quickanswer.com/home.htm and they have some back issues that you can order to solve the problem.  Basically you need to know how to "capture" the LPT1 or COM port and redirect them to USB.  Their article will give you the details.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: printing problem
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 3:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is the general workaround that you can try:

1.  If you are using a Windows only printer (not designed
to work at all with DOS programs), Q&A for DOS will probably not work with it. The printer will not understand the printer control codes being sent by Q&A.  But if the printer will emulate one of the printers in the Q&A Printer lists (Version 5.0 has more than the 4.0 version), you may be able to print most characters except box lines.  You can also select Plain Vanilla text as the printer in Q&A if you don't have special font needs.

===============================
If your printer meets the conditions above then you can set up the USB printer as a Network Shared Resource and capture LPT1 to that printer.

2.  If the USB printer is a network printer and it is one that will support the printer codes that Q&A generates during print jobs, you can capture the printer to a local LPT port and Q&A will work with it.

3.  Set up the normal Wiindows printer going to the USB port. 

4.  Make the Windows printer Shareable so that it can be picked up by Windows programs as a Printer Resource.

5.  Add a new printer for Q&A in Windows.  Capture LPT1 to that new Q&A Printer.  If using XP/2K operating system, you will need to use NET USE with Persistent switch.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged