Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) traversing full complete records (Read 2515 times)
North_Guy

No personal text, yet.

Re: traversing full complete records
Reply #15 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 5:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Hammer, sorry for not being specific, I'm still trying to learn Sesame and how it works and terminology.
In my SQL example I used one table because thats what I would want to have ideally but I have 5 tables/databases in this application in Sesame. In Access these tables would be joined on common columns and I would use those to retieve the complete record from the 5 tables, but in Sesame I can't figure on how to do that but its like you said, maybe its because its not SQL based or a true relational database engine(which makes me curious on exactly how the seperate elements in the 5 databases I have are part of one complete 'record' and how they know where to point to one another?) .
I will talk to the creater of the application and find out how he created the file as far as the linking goes because I think thats the key problem here. Maybe a redesign or mod to the design is needed in order to accomplish what I'm trying to do.
Thanks again for all your help.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #16 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 6:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was actually expecting you to show me SQL that included JOIN statements.

Let us know what you find out and we'll try to help.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

North_Guy

No personal text, yet.

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
BOBSCOTT Wrote:
"One basic method you can use to get all data per record together is by creating a form with each of the remaining databases as subforms. The elements on the main form are then available to export and by creating variables and using  @formfieldValue() you can then have all the related data available to export. "

I have tried this but still I can't see the elements on the subforms? I added a new database and new form under that database and then added 2 subforms which were forms from 2 other databases in the same application. But when I open it up in runtime and do an F10, no data shows up in the subforms that are on the new form I just created.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 10:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
It sounds like the data is not linked.
When you created your subforms did you select natural or Relational?
If you selected natural try entering a new record completely.
Make sure all data populates correctly.

If it all works correctly now try running your Sbasic programming that retrieves all the values and see if it is working correctly on that particular record.
This will tell us that the Sbasic you are using is correct and then all we have to do is get all your data linked up properly. Smiley

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

North_Guy

No personal text, yet.

Reply #19 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have tried using both types of linking. When I do a search now I still get no data showing on the forms but I placed a command button on the form and wrote code behind it(@xLookupSourceListAll) and when I do that I can at least retrieve data from the form specified in the function parameters but I need to retieve data from all the subforms, not just one subform at a time. I guess thats where the linking comes in. Any suggestions about where to look in the manual regarding my linking problem?

Maybe I'm wrong but I've been thinking about this and the only way I can traverse through the complete records 1 at a time is by using the @FormFieldValue function with all the field values being on one form.
Am I wrong?
Thanks once again.

IP Logged

North_Guy

No personal text, yet.

Reply #20 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 5:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've tested my SBasic and I can retrieve data that I have added to my subforms(created using natural linking), so I guess its the linking problem again, any help on how to link the data from the original form to the subform would be appreciated, Thanks.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #21 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
guess its the linking problem again, any help on how to link the data from the original form to the subform would be appreciated, Thanks.

A Lantican may be able to give you a simpler or better method.

The method I have used was to export my data and then import it into my revised database. Look in the users guide starting at page 342 Importing Data. If i understood what you are trying to do, this should help.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print