Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Check Boxes (Read 1509 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Check Boxes
Sep 30th, 2005 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I have a couple of questions about checkboxes - after having added a few of them to my form.

1:  Can I do a mass update to change the "state" of the box from "undecided" to "yes"?

I tried it using
Code
Select All
Checkbox1 = "Yes"  

After performing the mass update on a record set, the appearance of the box did not change.  I noticed; however that if I ran my cursor over the box (without clicking) it changed to a "no" condition, i.e. the box appearance changed to reflect "unchecked."

2.  I would like the checkboxes to appear as if they are in a "group" (similar to a radio-button box, except that none, or one or more of the boxes can be checked). Can I draw a "box" around the group of check boxes?

Looking forward to "and ... the answer is ..."  lol

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Check Boxes
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 4:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi -

I have a couple of questions about checkboxes - after having added a few of them to my form.

1:  Can I do a mass update to change the "state" of the box from "undecided" to "yes"?

I tried it using
Code
Select All
Checkbox1 = "Yes"  

After performing the mass update on a record set, the appearance of the box did not change.  I noticed; however that if I ran my cursor over the box (without clicking) it changed to a "no" condition, i.e. the box appearance changed to reflect "unchecked."

Known bug. Found and fixed. The fix will be in 1.1.3.

Quote:
2.  I would like the checkboxes to appear as if they are in a "group" (similar to a radio-button box, except that none, or one or more of the boxes can be checked). Can I draw a "box" around the group of check boxes?

Looking forward to "and ... the answer is ..."  lol

The answer is yes. Just use one of the 30 or so box types in SDesigner.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 4:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

The answer is...

1. Try
Code
Select All
 Checkbox1 = 1 

. Although I have used the '= yes' before and it works fine on the sample customers application. ah I see why yours is not working. you have to get rid of the quotes around the YES.

YES is different than "YES".

2. In the layout element adder choose the element type of Box and add it to your form. Resize and position how you see fit.

but the question is..

Have you registered for the 2005 Sesame Users Conference yet?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Part 1

I tried changing the programming both to yes (without the quotes) and to 1; however neither worked.   (I probably should have mentioned in my initial question that I had tried other variations of "yes", such as "1", "true", etc.).

Since the previous reply indicates that this is a known flaw that will be fixed in the next release, I am no longer concerned about it.

Part 2

Once again, I'm embarrassed.  The only "term" I could think of for the box was "text box" because I use it so often in MS Word to enclose something in a box.  Your answer got me "back to basics" and what could be easier than inserting a box.

There is ONLY ONE PROBLEM. I inadvertently placed a box around one of the check mark boxes.  While I see the option to change the box "style" I do not see an option for "no box."  What do I do to retain the check mark field but get rid of the box around it?

Part 3

No, I have not registered for the User Conference since (unfortunately for me), I will probably not be able to attend.

Thanks for asking.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

Mark was referring to the redraw problem that you were talking about when you moved over the checkbox. That is what is fixed in the next version.

In the current version you can set a check box to be checked in a mass update.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 6:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK - I found "part" of my update problem.  I had inadvertently (I've just got to get more advertent again!  lol) used a name twice ... so Sesame added a "0" to the second field.  My mass update did work, but on the wrong field.  (Fortunately, it only affected 3 records out of hundreds - so it was an easy "fix"). 

My problem remains with the "appearance" of the check box (where I have to hover over it to see it's true state) and I guess that is the part that was fixed.

So, now the only thing left is to get rid of the box I placed around one of my check boxes.

- Spencer

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #6 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 6:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
highlight the box move it if you like then hit delete.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 7:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
I tried that; however, I am not able to highlight just the box AROUND the check box without highlighting the entire checkbox.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 7:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
move your check box
delete the box
move your check box back

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #9 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

As I just posted, I am unable to highlight the box without highlighting the entire field.

In case I am being unclear - or overlooking something - here's a little more detail. 

There are 3 boxes involved.

1.  The checkbox itself which automatically appears as a box when the layout element is added.  Let's say there are two of these.

2.  One - and only one of the check boxes has a box "around" it; i.e. if you look at the layout element it shows a "type" of box.   As I said previously, I do not see any option in the editor to select "no box" ... only the "style" of the box.

3.  The OTHER check box - when viewing the properties shows "no box."

4.  Finally, around the two check boxes (one not enclosed in a box and the other which is enclosed in a box), I have another box around both of them to keep them together as a "group."

When trying to delete the box described in 2 above, I first removed the surrounding box described in 4 above.  I know I'm repeating myself but I want to make the point that the check box with it's "surrounding" box is now standing free and clear of anything else.  I am not able to grab anything but the entire checkbox field itself.

I hope this helps clarify the situation and that I can get a suggestion that will work (hopefully, short of removing the box completely and then adding a new element back to my form).

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #10 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 7:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

Now that you have explained what is happening, I think I understand.

Select the check box described in #2
Switch to the look tab of the property editor
In the box fill type choose None

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well Ray, I was able to fix the problem that way.  I would strongly suggest that the programmers take another look at this element and the way it works.

No wonder I couldn't remove the box.  To remove it you are telling me that I had to first choose the box and then tell Sesame not to fill it in order to get rid of it. 

It just ain't logical somehow and I'm sure could be made easier.

In any event, thanks for helping me get my form designed the way I want it.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 9:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

All GUI elements (like check boxes) have a "box" that defines the actual size of the element. That box can be drawn in different ways which you can affect with the Look settings.

By default, a checkbox has No Box, meaning that its outer box is not visible.   If you select the checkbox, then set a different box type on the Look tab, you can make the outer box appear. Once you have done so, if you want the outer box to not appear anymore, you can use the Look tab setting to set it back to No Box. This tells Sesame not to draw the outer box anymore.

Again, a checkbox defaults to No Box. The only way the outer box will appear is if you specifically tell it to.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged