Normal Topic Phantom Element/Tab Page (Read 747 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Phantom Element/Tab Page
Oct 7th, 2005 at 4:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Symptom:  On Form Entry cursor keeps going to third field vs. the first one.  If I remove all programming, I get the same result.

Two tabs on the page, no elements not on the tabs.

I finally narrowed the cause down to the Navigation Specs.  Appears to be a phantom element or TabPage, left over from earlier work.  This Navigation seems to override ThrowFocus which I tried to overcome the problem.

There are three groups listed for the form navigation:
SalesTax, TabPage0, TabPage

There is no apparent element named SalesTax, but there used to be.  In trying to locate it under othe elements, I have removed every visible element from the Tabs, one at a time.  I then reduced size, moved around,  and finallyremoved both Tab Pages one at a time. 

Checking the Navigation Order during the removals gives the same results until I remove both Tab Pages.  Changing removal order makes no difference.

If I add an element to the form, off the tab, then the Navigation Order shows Sales Tax, then the New Element.  When both tabs are removed, then only the New Element shows up in the Navigation list.

With all tab pages removed, If I now add a new tabpage, all is OK.  Sales Tax is no longer listed in the Navigation Order list.

Result is the only way to fix this appears to be a total removal of all tabs on the form.

This is not a preferred solution, any other one available?
May have to send this design in for analysis/repair?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Re: Phantom Element/Tab Page
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 4:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Addendum:  Form history for help in analysis of problem cause. 

When I wrote that the phantom element may have been left over from earlier work, I just followed the history of this form back to version 1.04 where the problem existed but did not appear to exihibit itself because of other design structures.

I have created many templates and this form was based on that template.  The original may actually have come from earlier version than 1.04, too much work right now to trace that back any further.  This template has been used for about 18 months.

Strange that it has been used in many other applications, but only showed its problem with this recent application.  I suspect that is because the earlier designs did not have any elements in front.  the current element 3 was always element 1 on the other forms.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 2:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Bob,

Send it in and I will have a look at it. Be sure to include the Username and password if there is one and also the name of the form that I should look at.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just delivered Ray, thanks.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 9:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
and they are heading back to you.

The SalesTax element is the name of the tab group that contains the tabs named TabPag0 and TabPage.

You can use throwfocus to move focus to the first radio button. All you have to do is use the radio button name in the call to ThrowFocus and not the name of the radio button group. A radio button group can not have focus in runtime.

You are welcome,
-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 9:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Throwing focus to the button vs. the group makes the symptoms go away.  That solved the problem Ray.  Thanks again.

I was unable to find any mention of this restriction in the documentation.  Even in the Program Editor, the Group is
listed as the element, not the buttons.

It might be a good idea to modify documentation and mention that programming must use ThrowFocus to RadioButton vs. the RadioButton Group.

I am still curious about "Sales Tax".  You say that is the name for the group of TabPages.  Is there somewhere that I can see and/or rename it?  How was it created?  Looked in Database Manager, and Properties Editor.  It is confusing to see a reference to an element that cannot be identified.  Other forms use TabPage references for Navigation

Thanks again for the explanation and solution.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged