Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Custom Menu to Select an Application (Read 1118 times)
Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Custom Menu to Select an Application
Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Inside Sesame issues from December 2004 and January 2005 talk about creating a custom menu within an existing application that has multiple forms/databases.

What I am looking for is a custom menu that allows you to select an application, without having to see an entire list of applications available when you click on File, Open.

I am also trying to restrict certain users from seeing only the applications they need to see without having to set up multiple server sessions.

i.e. separate applications: Sales Calls, Top500, Clients, HR, Invoicing

I would like our Sales team to only see: Sales calls, Top500 and Clients.

Is this doable and is there any references to accomplishing this task ?

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Custom Menu to Select an Application
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 3:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Louis

What you want to do is definitely doable in Sesame. There are many ways to accomplish your goals. One method would be to create your custom menu and use @group or @user with the Visibility() command shown on page 232 of the programming guide.

Use the  -closed switch when you start your application and then use the application property manager to load your menu form.

When your user logs in they will only see the command buttons that you allow to be visible for them. As far as the user knows those are the only databases there are.

Check out the Xpos() and Ypos() commands on page 235 and page 236 to place the visible command buttons in the correct location so the visible command buttons look like they are centered or located in a good location.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 3:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob Scott's suggestions are correct if you are trying to restrict access to DATABASES.  But your original request was about APPLICATIONS.  There is definitely a distinction in Sesame's terminology. 

In Sesame, the term APPLICATION refers to a pair of Seasame files, name.db and name.dat.  Each APPLICATION can have unlimited DATABASES within. 

In your original question, do you really mean APPLICATIONS, as defined here, or do you really mean DATABASES within an APPLICATION?  If you really mean databases, then follow Bob Scott's suggestions.  Also keep in mind that you can use the user ID to hide/display branches on the command tree in addition to using that for command buttons on a menu form.

If you mean Applications, per Sesame definition, you may want to consider making some batch files to start different applications based on user ID, etc.  Other "menuing" utilities may also be considered.

It is probably possible to make a Sesame Menu Page in a Sesame Application, per Bob's suggestion, that may allow you to open another copy of Sesame to run specific Sesame Applications, and close the one with the menu, but I think some type of batch files may be easier.

This was intended to clarify, not to confuse.  Hope it was helpful.  Good luck.

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:35pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 10:35am
Print Post Print Post  
I would use multiple Sesame servers serving from different directories. You can then set up the sales team clients to connect to the "sales team server" that sits in the sales directory. The rootdirs.ini file restricts them so they cannot see directories above the sales directory. Other types of users each have a Sesame server that serves the applications they need.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
To answer Bob Hansen's question, my intentions deal with the Applications themselves and not specific databases within an application as per Bob Scott's suggestion.

Mark's suggestion to run multiple servers was one I tried several months ago but failed.  I am going to try this once again to see if I can make it work.

Mark (dumb question of the day):  if I have a "Sales Team" server, a "Client Support" server and an "Admin" server and they all need to access a common database such as "Clients", how do I point them to this common database given they are pointing to their specific applications ?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark (dumb question of the day):  if I have a "Sales Team" server, a "Client Support" server and an "Admin" server and they all need to access a common database such as "Clients", how do I point them to this common database given they are pointing to their specific applications ?

Louis

The rootdirs.ini file can have multiple directories specified as entries. So you can create a rootdirs.ini file for Sales that looks like this:
Code
Select All
c:\Sesame\Data\SalesOnly
c:\Sesame\Data\Common

And one for Manufacturing that looks like this:
Code
Select All
c:\Sesame\Data\ManufacturingOnly
c:\Sesame\Data\Common

That would give Sales exclusive access to the applications in the "SalesOnly" directory, and shared access to the applications in the "Common" directory. Sales cannot get to the "ManufacturingOnly" directory and Manufacturing cannot get to the "SalesOnly" directory, but both can get to the "Common" directory.

It may be wise to start another server with c:\Sesame\Data in its rootdirs.ini file, that can, thereby, access all of the directories - for administrative purposes.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
It should also be noted that, because they are using different servers, Sales and Manufacturing would need to take turns accessing the applications in the "Common" directory. It may be better to simply start a third server to access the "Common" directory and give both Sales and Manufacturing access to connect to that server (via client icons on the appropriate desktops).

IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark:

The placement of the rootdirs.ini file indicates that it should be in the working directory.

In the example here, I assume I would have one copy within the SalesOnly folder, one in Common and one in the ManufacturingOnly folder (all on the server).

Is this correct ?

Also, I assume the Client would not have need for a rootdirs.ini file on their computer.

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark:

The placement of the rootdirs.ini file indicates that it should be in the working directory.

In the example here, I assume I would have one copy within the SalesOnly folder, one in Common and one in the ManufacturingOnly folder (all on the server).

Is this correct ?

Yes. You can also use the SESAME_ROOTDIRS_PATH environment variable to control where Sesame looks for the file.

Quote:
Also, I assume the Client would not have need for a rootdirs.ini file on their computer.

Just the server.

IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 4:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark:

In reference to the server port numbers, the default is 20000:20001.

Is it a good habit to assign these to the server session and related client ?  Or can it be left out in the properties ?

I have two servers currently working fine with the second one assigned as 20002:20003.  I have not modified the properties of the first server to include the default port numbers.

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 4:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark:

In reference to the server port numbers, the default is 20000:20001.

Is it a good habit to assign these to the server session and related client ?  Or can it be left out in the properties ?

I have two servers currently working fine with the second one assigned as 20002:20003.  I have not modified the properties of the first server to include the default port numbers.

Thanks,

Louis

If you are actively trying to exclude people from having access to a particular server, you should assign unique (and obscure) port numbers to that server. If you have pre-assigned IP addresses (as opposed to DHCP) you can also use the allow and deny files to forcefully exclude access. Event with DHCP, if you partitiion your users across assigning routers, you can use the allow and deny files.

IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #11 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 7:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark:

Thanks for your input. 

I now have two servers running and the clients have access to only what they need.

My mistake the last time I went down this road was not having the rootdirs.ini file in the proper working directory.

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged