Normal Topic Radio Button Retrieves (Read 433 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Radio Button Retrieves
Oct 8th, 2005 at 6:21am
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, a third Radio Button issue in a row from me. 
I am trying to use develop more power with Radio Buttons, and learning more every day.  And I am also learning to recognize what I don't know yet.
=======================

So, if you have a Radio Button Group, then you obviously must have two or more options.  Maybe even 8 or 10 or more. 
Problem: When on the Retrieve Screen, how is it possible to select more than one button? 

I can leave all of them blank.
I can select any single one choice.
I cannot select two or more choices.

Also, after I select one choice, retrieve records and go back to Retreive screen, how can I clear my earlier choice so that all are blank, allowing me to get all records?  The previous button is active and now I can only toggle them, no way to clear my previous choice.

I can press F3 to delete the spec and then select my choice again, but if I have values in other elements, then all of those element values are cleared also and need to be reentered.

One option may be to write some programming for different Button Values, but that is too much work, and then too confusing for end user to need to select the correct spec for all combinations of options  And this is compounded if I have more than one Radio Button Group to make choices from.

I would love to be told I am overlooking the obvious......

Your ideas and solutions are most welcome.......

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Radio Button Retrieves
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

The problem with Query-By-Form is that you are subject to the functional limitations of the type of form element or widget used. Radio buttons, by their nature, allow selection of only one choice. They offer no place for you to type criteria. Checkboxes present a similar problem. To search for multiple choices, you can:

1. Use a programmed retrieve typed into a text box

OR...

2. Place a text box element on your form bound to the same field as the radio button group which is visible only at the Retrieve Spec. Then you can search for a semicolon separated list.

OR...

3. Search more than once, using Add To Result Set instead of new search.

Personally, I like #3, but you can use whatever is appropriate for your application.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Radio Button Retrieves
Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2005 at 6:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika

Your suggestion: Quote:
Search more than once, using Add To Result Set instead of new search.
should do the trick.  I forgot about using that feature.  That will solve the problem of getting multiple choices. 

Any suggestion for clearing the selected choice to select all of them?   I guess I could fall back to multiple passes on each choice adding to the results for all.

Option 2: a text element bound to the radio group group is an intriguing idea.  Don't think I will use it in the current application, but that does open up some ideas for the future.  A pre-defined semicolon list helps for correct spelling, etc.  That one goes in the toolbox.

Thanks again for the solution and the new tool.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged