Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sample Report (Read 1448 times)
cbt_sj

No personal text

Sample Report
Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
How are headers and page breaks handled in Sesame.  We're thinking of switching from Q&A 5 and wanted to be sure headers could be on each page.  I looked through the userguide but didn't see any examples of the 2nd page of the reports.

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sample Report
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Chris,

In version 1, all reports are generated as HTML,  therefore,  pages are handled by your default browser (if printing from preview) or by the MS/IE print engine (if printing directly). Generally, the browser will have default page header and footer settings that it automatically prints on each page. These can be edited in the browser. In addition, the upcoming release (1.1.3), will repeat column headers on each page if you are using any of the Gecko based browsers (Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape). 

HTML does not really have the concept of "page",  therefore page-oriented features are not as predictable as they were in Q&A. If page headers in reports are the make-or-break feature for you, you may want to contact Customer Service at customer_service@lantica.com with a specific description of your needs in this area. They can let you know if Sesame 1.1 can accomodate your requirements.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

walt

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
How are headers and page breaks handled in Sesame.  We're thinking of switching from Q&A 5 and wanted to be sure headers could be on each page.  I looked through the userguide but didn't see any examples of the 2nd page of the reports.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris, you hit my hot spot! Until it's doable, I can't switch from QA5 either.

Last I checked, the reason you can't find a sample is because it can't be done since Sesame prints in HTML through the browser like a sausage machine. So far, it lacks the built-in print capability of Q&A.

Consequently, you'll only get a header and column headers on the first page with nothing on the following pages. Apparently you can modify the browser for headers and page numbers but would have to change it for each report, which is not practical for us. Does not resolve the missing column heads either. Have no clue about footers either.

In an earlier post on this subject, someone said they might add a report writer in some future version if there was enough demand. I thought all Q&A users needed this capability but guess I was wrong.

Be nice to get an update on this.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
BTW, Version 2 does add a number of page control capabilites, including page header and footer control, to the Report generator.

- Hammer
IP Logged

cbt_sj

No personal text

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do you know when 2.0 will be released ?  I'm currently maintaining our database in Q&A 5 but then export to Paradox 10 to print the reports so it would be nice if all the features were in a single database.

Chris

IP Logged

walt

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 11:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
BTW, Version 2 does add a number of page control capabilites, including page header and footer control, to the Report generator.

What kinds of control? Is there (or will there be) a specific list with examples anywhere?

Will it resolve these issues:

Rube Goldberg need to keyboard browser for each report?

Repeat column headers for MS/IE also, or only for Geeko based browsers?

Will "page-oriented features" be "as predictable as they were in Q&A"?

IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 4:25am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm having a similar issue.  Right now in Q&A I print inventory reports, that have a page break for each client.

That being said, couldn't a page-breaking report be generated with I/O and a merge to MS Word?  That's what I'm hoping to do (last part of my project, and I'm putting it off as long as possible!)

Coesper erat: tunc lubriciles altravia circum&&Urgebant gyros gimbiculosque tophi:&&Moestenui visae borogovides ire meatu:&&Et profugi gemitus exgrabuere rathae

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
That being said, couldn't a page-breaking report be generated with I/O and a merge to MS Word?  That's what I'm hoping to do (last part of my project, and I'm putting it off as long as possible!)

Absolutely. There are couple of ways to do this, depending on the specific requirements of this particular report. Contact Ray when you're ready to do it. He'll help you set up the method that makes the most sense for your application.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2005 at 12:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Do you know when 2.0 will be released ?  I'm currently maintaining our database in Q&A 5 but then export to Paradox 10 to print the reports so it would be nice if all the features were in a single database.

Chris

Chris,

2.0 is in development. We have not yet set a release date. If you get Inside Sesame, we are publishing monthly development articles so people can see what features are being implemented and how they work. I'll be doing a two-hour demo of many of these features at the upcoming Users Conference in Las Vegas.

Again, you may want to get in touch with Customer Service or Technical Support. If you are exporting to Paradox to do your reports, then I assume that Q&A doesn't cover your needs. If you give either of these teams the specifics of what you need to do, they'll give you an honest answer (often with working examples)  regarding how your requirements would be handled using Sesame. If the Report Designer itself doesn't provide enough page control, the other printing and/or automation options may be able to get you what you need.

Lantica Contact Information 
http://www.lantica.com/Company/contact.html

- Hammer
IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 11:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame reports, being HTML, can be opened in both Word and Excel. I know it's not then a completely automatic process, but you can do a whole lot with them there if you want to do a little manual tweaking.

Alec
IP Logged

cbt_sj

No personal text

Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 5:49am
Print Post Print Post  
One thing that always has messed me up with html reports is that the user is able to change the font size in internet explorer.   They click on View | Text Size and select the Largest setting it makes my text that looked good at the Medium setting word wrap to the next line.  I know with using cascade style sheets this can be fixed but I still haven't figured out how to set those sheets.  Is this a problem in Sesame ? Can you set the font size so users can't change it, regardless of there screen resolution or what they have internet explorer font size set at.

Thanks

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 12:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
I could be wrong about this, but I don't think that there is a way to reliably disable the View/Text Size options in the browser itself. This is a function of the individual browser and does not affect the original page source. Even if you find a way to make IE6 do this, IE7 may behave differently. Then there's Opera, Firefox, Netscape, Mozilla, etc.   

Personal Opinion:
This question is often asked on web page design oriented newsgroups. It is often answered in a style that we simply don't allow on this Forum.  Wink

This adjustability is one of the strong points of both HTML and screen resolution settings.  Just because your eyes are good enough to work at 1600 x 1200 and read 10 pt text, the far-sighted 55 year old at the next desk appreciates being able to work at lower res and to increase the size of small print.

It doesn't matter how prettily your text is formatted if the user can't read it.  Smiley

It's usually possible (and often preferable) to format your reports (and your web pages) in such a way that the user can increase the text size safely.

- Hammer
IP Logged

walt

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 5:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sesame reports, being HTML, can be opened in both Word and Excel. I know it's not then a completely automatic process, but you can do a whole lot with them there if you want to do a little manual tweaking.

You're right Alec, it's not automatic at all. It requires the user to have other software, the knowledge to use it, and the time to do so. This is definitely not realistic in an office environment.

Why not just finally bite the bullet and provide your own report writer so we can retain the capability of the old reliable "DOS is dead" Q&A?

As an application developer, I don't see how we can expect our "SOHO" users to know how to "tweak" HTML, Excel, browsers, Word or anything else, or how we can ask them to call Ray each time a different untrained office employee is asked to print a quick report. Or how we could keep up with supporting them  everytime someone changes their version of Word, IE, etc. Simply too many variables.

Although helpful add-ons, I don't think we should have to monitor Inside Sesame, go to seminars, go to Las Vegas or contact customer service just to get info that should be readily available in the manuals or on the web site.

Hammer noted "In version 1, all reports are generated as HTML". In which version will this no longer be the case?

Thanks?  ???

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 6:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hammer noted "In version 1, all reports are generated as HTML". In which version will this no longer be the case?

Version 2.

Quote:
should be readily available in the manuals or on the web site

For those of you who are interested in step-by-step instructions for creating merge documents and labels, Quick Reference Guides are available in the Sesame Support Library for a couple different versions of Word and for WordPerfect.
http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesame_library.html

- Hammer
IP Logged