Normal Topic licenses (Read 514 times)
cbt_sj

No personal text

licenses
Oct 25th, 2005 at 10:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
If I have 5 clients wanting to access my database would they each need to purchase Sesame ? or could I give them a copy of the client program and they could access my server (my server would have 5 licenses).

Thanks,
Chris

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: licenses
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Chris,

I'm Development, so you would need to confirm this with Sales or Customer Service. I believe that, if you purchase 5 licenses, you can install your five clients wherever you want.  The 5 licences will allow five concurrent connections to your server. Sesame Client and Sesame Server are simply different "personalities" of the same exe (controlled by a startup switch) so there is no separate piece of software.

Sales and Customer Service are about to leave for the Conference in Vegas and should be back in the office on Nov 1.  Development and Technical Support are leaving tomorrow and will be back in on Oct 31.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

cbt_sj

No personal text

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 4:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I wanted to make our database accessible to companies in our region to access and provide the s/w to them free but then restrict the number that could connect to the server.  Thus 5 licences would allow 5 at a time and if I found I was always getting 5 connections then I would buy additional licenses.  But if there the same product then this might not work.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 5:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
From a technical standpoint, what you want to do will work fine.  You can install Sesame at each of your five clients and also on your server. The license which allows the five connections also goes on the server. You would start the server by running Sesame with the -server switch. Your clients would run Sesame and connect to your server by starting it with the -client switch.

From a licensing standpoint, it gets a bit sticky and I can't provide an authoritative answer.

Again, you need to discuss this with Sales. If this was a question of installing Sesame at home for five of your employees, that's one thing. Distributing Sesame at will outside of your own organization is a different situation. You probably would need to be on a reseller agreement. Unless your clients will be translating Q&A databases, they will only need the less expensive Professional Edition (as opposed to the Plus Edition).

Alternately, you can use a regularly uploaded export file or the Extractor utility (depending on your setup) to provide read only access through a web page interface.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged