Normal Topic Log of changes within form (Read 676 times)
Janko

No personal text

Log of changes within form
Oct 27th, 2005 at 3:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Dear Lantica and its users!

I am interested in keeping a small text box, or anything that would fulfill this purpose.  I want to have a log of each change, that includes the time, date, and logged-in user (we do have user securities set), and most importantly changed from what to what.  I would like that saved per-entry.

Anyone know of a method, or what this would be more appropriately named?

Thank you all!  Lurking here has done great things for our Sesame -- now only if they'd get back so we can buy another license Smiley

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Re: Log of changes within form
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 8:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Check out the data dictionary program at insidesesame I believe it will do most of what you want.I have it and it well worth the cost.

IP Logged

Janko

No personal text

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Unfortunately I don't believe that will help me.  I'm more looking for a subform that just details changes made to the existing data entry and displays it so the next user knows if something was already done...

I just wanted it automatic Smiley

Thank you though!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Place a function or subtroutine in global code that uses ThisElement to generically access any LE on your main form. It should be able to get the LE Name / Label and the data in that LE. Use the CreateNewRecord call to create a record in your subform, populating it with the data you got from the ThisElement and the current time and date.

Call this subroutine / function from the OnFieldChange / OnFormChange events from the appropriate LEs.

If you need to log changes to a large number of LEs, it may be wise to create a static global that gets set when that LE changes (in its OnFieldChange event) that can be used in the form's change event to track which LE changed.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Janko

No personal text

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 8:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Booked marked and appreciated for when I understand all of that Smiley.  Appreciated even now, though!

IP Logged