Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Page Break Question (Read 1271 times)
Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Page Break Question
Oct 27th, 2005 at 8:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Okay ... last question for today (thanks for putting up with me Mark!)

I was up till the wee hours last night building a report with a page break (using the standard report writer with the page break block in a group header) in HTML.  I had it working.  And then as I developed my report further, it's gone, and I can't seem to bring the page break back.

I know that the manual states that page breaks in HTML are finnicky things, and it may not work on some systems, but I did have it working.  Can anyone speak on their experiences with this, and what tips off the page break block to work or not?

Thanks!
Blair

Coesper erat: tunc lubriciles altravia circum&&Urgebant gyros gimbiculosque tophi:&&Moestenui visae borogovides ire meatu:&&Et profugi gemitus exgrabuere rathae

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Page Break Question
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 9:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
In any case, you can put a page break in the report header, report footer, view header, and view footer. In a freeform view, you can put a page break in the group header, group body, and group footer.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 2:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Okay, but I want to initiate a page break every time the value in the first column changes. 

I can't set a value break in Report Header, Page Header, or View Header.  Where do I put the page break, and where to I assign the value break?

I've also tried changing the report to freeform, and a page break in a group header doesn't seem to work either ...

The most frustrating thing is that I *did* have it working.

Coesper erat: tunc lubriciles altravia circum&&Urgebant gyros gimbiculosque tophi:&&Moestenui visae borogovides ire meatu:&&Et profugi gemitus exgrabuere rathae

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 2:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
The easiest way would be to use a free form view.

Are you remembering that the page break will only occur in a printed report? Browsers have no use for page breaks.

IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 2:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I had it working by previewing the report, and then hitting print preview (to see the page breaks).

I'll go back at it and see what I can figure out ...

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you bring up the report in your browser and right click, selecting "view page source" (in Netscape, Mozilla, Firebird, other Gecko based browser...) or "view source" in I.E. - you should be able to find a bit of text that reads:
Code
Select All
<DIV STYLE="page-break-before:always"></DIV>

If it really is a freeform view (and there is only one view in the report). You should see no <TABLE>, </TABLE>, <TR>, </TR>, <TD>, or </TD> tags at all.

If it is really freeform and the page break tag is in place - try a direct print (not using your browser).

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Try a direct print. The report generator replaces the page break with a horizontal bar, if the report is being generated for the browser.

IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Tried that too.   Undecided

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you seeing the
Code
Select All

in the source?

BTW: to check this (since there will be no tag if you send the file from sesame to your browser), you will need to print immediate and then open the resulting file in your browser from within the browser.

IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
That's exactly the problem.  The HTML output doesn't include the page break coding at all.  Not in source, not in print preview, not in actual print.

Here's another tack, is there a way through a programmed value I can "drop in" an html coded page break?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 4:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Here's another tack, is there a way through a programmed value I can "drop in" an html coded page break?

IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ha HA!  That did it!

I dropped in a value box with the following code:

LE10 = @str("<DIV STYLE=")+@chr(34)+@str("page-break-before:always")+@chr(34)+@str("></DIV>")

And it put my page break (in a table column report) right where I wanted it!

Thanks Mark!  That was one of my biggest and last hurdles to getting Sesame online at my company!

Blair

IP Logged