Normal Topic Subform (Read 723 times)
Janko

No personal text

Subform
Oct 28th, 2005 at 2:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good morning, Lantica and its users!

I have a single database.  I would like to have a box that keeps recorded information per record (for sales -- things we have done, such as a courtesy call, sent contract, etc.).  I already have an existing database hauled over from Q&A, so the information is not there -- it's something I want to implement.

Now, what I'm trying to do is create a box, with entries (no set limit to the amount that may be entered), but I don't want a fifty page record, so I was thinking of some sort of scroll box -- somewhat like a subform.  Now, if I use a subform, which looks to be what I want, my only concern is the amount of fields.  I am trying to make it so only one space in excess shows, and upon entry of that empty/unused space, it automatically creates another.

If anyone has any ideas or similar things they have done, any and all help would be appreciated -- or even a beginning programming path I should take so I can build it myself.  Thanks all!

IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Re: Subform
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've done this very thing!

I've created a table subform that accesses a database called "notes".  Each note has a note id, a note reference number, a date field, a time field, a field for the login id initials, and a field for the note itself.

I then created a relational database that matches the note reference number and the file reference number ... voila!  Instant, unlimited notelines.  I even attached a sort spec on form entry that pulls the notes up in descending order.

Does that help?

Coesper erat: tunc lubriciles altravia circum&&Urgebant gyros gimbiculosque tophi:&&Moestenui visae borogovides ire meatu:&&Et profugi gemitus exgrabuere rathae

IP Logged

Janko

No personal text

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Excellent!  Silly me passed over it with the manual out twice.  This should come in handy!  Much thanks!

IP Logged

Janko

No personal text

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 5:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Dear Blair Wettlaufer,

I'm sorry to be a pain, but I do not understand this portion:

"I then created a relational database that matches the note reference number and the file reference number ... voila!  Instant, unlimited notelines.  I even attached a sort spec on form entry that pulls the notes up in descending order."

I have but one entry in the subform.

This is my goal:

Automatic date entry (but manual editing available in cases where something is done one day, but not updated until another [sometimes we all get the 'i'll do it tomorrow']).  Also, when one entry is taken up, the program automatically adds another line.  When a user (we do have users to our Sesame) enters something, it is recorded and unable to be edited, for logging purposes.

I don't want to trouble anyone here, and like I said, it is my goal.  If you have a direction you can point me in, or some sort of learning guide for this time.

I do appreciate your and everyone's time!

IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Janko!

Email me directly at home (checkyboy@gmail.com) and I'll send you a copy of my sesame form, where I'm doing the very thing you are looking for!

Blair

Coesper erat: tunc lubriciles altravia circum&&Urgebant gyros gimbiculosque tophi:&&Moestenui visae borogovides ire meatu:&&Et profugi gemitus exgrabuere rathae

IP Logged