Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Report "History Files" (Read 2580 times)
walt

Re: Report "History Files"
Reply #15 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 7:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Spenser -

Quote:
Walt -

Although Sesame doesn't have an integrated word processor, I honestly feel - at this point in software development - that it really isn't necessary (at least not for "Windows" users which is clearly the most predominent OS being used).  

If it were only for our own internal use, no problem. We used to sell a lot of Q&A custom applications and my goal is to replicate it on Sesame, providing the same level of simplicity for the users. Their level of internal expertise (if any) will vary depending on which clerical person is using the program on a given day. Most of these folks have NO software expertise. If a job can't get done with a simple selection or click of the mouse, they'll quickly get frustrated and return the program. And based on my experience, absolutely no one reads support manuals. Consequently I view the use of Word as a nice add-on feature , but not as a substitute.

Quote:
It is so easy to integrate with Word for Windows that having a word processor as part of Sesame would be more cumbersome than it's worth.

Definitely not for our market.

Quote:
As for reports, that's a different story.  I find the report generator to be one of the most difficult I have ever used and sincerely hope that that the entire process could be simplified.  We've heard that there will be some new report options in Version 2 and I'm  hoping that will help.

Totally agree as in KISS.

Walt

An afterthought...

Since I'm not selling my services as a consultant, my interest has been to provide a completely idiot-proof application that minimizes the need for hand-holding. Maybe I should change my business model and encourage user calls so I could charge them.  However, I'd have to relocate frequently so they couldn't catch me. Grin

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Report "Droppings"
Reply #16 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Checked pg. 382 in my manual and recalled that I had indeed read the reference at least twice but simply spaced it out because I was stumped on its relevance and ramifications.

Do you have a suggestion for how it could be stated more plainly?
Quote:
As I understood it (per my notes), unlike Q&A, everytime the user previewed or printed a report a copy would automatically be saved, whether or not it was wanted. I was stumped with how to get all our potential application "customers" to periodically give their system an enema. Just one more thing for them to remember and overlook so I decided to move on until I got to this point in the design.

Overlooking the offensive language  - it is not a "copy", but is the original report. Q&A used a "closed" report format that was unusable in any other program, and hence had not reason to retain reports.
Quote:
I have to agree with Spenser and cbt_sj that saving should be offered as an option rather than the default because its not realistic to expect our "SOHO" (small office / home office) users to purge these files on their own, and NONE of them have "system or database administrators" to rely on.

I am looking into it. Though I have to say that in my experience, SOHO users are well acquainted with file deletion, perhaps too much so.
Quote:
I'm also aware that you've introduced several (?) manual revisions but have refrained from printing any of them out since I haven't had the time or inclination to print out some 700 to 800 sheets and transfer all my notes each time another version appears.

They are available in print form as well. They can be ordered from:
https://www.lantica.com/order_form.html
Quote:
I partially agree with Spenser: "I think Sesame is an incredible program and I, personally, want it to succeed beyond everyone's expectations.  To do that, however, I think it must be responsive to the people who use it."

I wouldn't know it from your posts.

We are, among commercial software products, the only company I am aware of that gives the end users direct connection to the developers. As such, Sesame has more than 200 features that are in place based on user suggestions. Many more than that if we count the features in 2.0. There is hardly a week that goes by that I don't implement one or more features that were suggested here on the forum.
Quote:
Where Q&A achieved its fame by including a database manager, word processor and report printer all within one seamlessly integrated package, Sesame still has only the database manager, thereby limiting its simplicity of use and consequently its appeal. Well, there's always version 2, or 3, or 4.  One can hope. Grin

Q&A did achieve a portion of its fame from providing the user with a single application that could move data between DB, word processor, and report writer. So called "Office Suites" are still very popular today. But Q&A also met its downfall through some of those same decisions. Because it used a "closed" printing system and file format, as opposed to using the printing system provided by the OS (not that they had much of a choice in DOS!) Q&A was and is unable to print to many (if not most) of the printers that have been released since its developmental demise. Nor could any of the results of its Report Writer be used in any other application or program, or be adapted for print by recent printers. Even on day one, in large businesses, where reports must contain introductory material, paragraphs of summation, multiple charts, graphs, and whatnot, be electronically stored and retrieved, typeset, and archived - Q&A was completely out of the running. In fact the only way to use Q&A reports in a non-homogeneous environment is to produce an ASCII or postscript report, and, by hand, remove the extraneous page formatting. While producing documents in a closed format that cannot be retained was a defacto norm on DOS, the practice was retained well afterwards by many software companies in that it helped them retain marketshare. But even as we speak, Microsoft (and many others) are converting their systems to use XML.
As to creating a "seamless" word processor for Sesame, If I can get paid to do it, I will. The problem is cost versus return. We are not competing in a market against Q&A's word processor. We competing against MSWord and WordPerfect. Many of our customers now, and all of our customers in the future, would expect that any word processor included be a full featured WYSIWYG word processor. The cost to produce such a word processor is simply too high. If we produce anything less, we will simply be asked, "why can't I just use my word processor?" The fact is that most computer users already have a favorite word processor and odds are that Sesame will work with it quite handily. That means that the business user has no need to train employees on a new word processor.

As to simplicity:
Erika, while preparing her class on Sesame integration, counted the number of steps in both Q&A and Sesame/MSWord to perform a simple merge letter. For both setup and generation, either program produces roughly the same number of steps. Given that there are several orders of maginitude more MSWord users than Q&A Write users, and thereby significantly more people familiar with MSWord, I cannot justify (to Lantica marketing) the several hundred thousand dollars it would cost to build a competing word processor.

As to the simplicity of Report Writers:
I know of none that are actually all that simple or easy to use (Sesame and Q&A included). The task itself precludes a WSYIWYG approach. Most GUI based report writers (like Sesame, Access, Crystal) use a system of "layers" which is hardly representational of final outcome. Earlier report writers (like Q&A) use a cryptic miniature language which must be memorized. I have seen some experimental report writers that use a layout similar to a page layout system like MSPublisher. But even those fail to represent the repetition of records in a satisfying way.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Report "History Files"
Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:06am
Print Post Print Post  
Just back from Users Conference .  Terrific presentations, many show/tell tips and usage of functions.  Also had almost 2 hours of Version 2.0 new features that are planned.  Will not go into them here and now, but hang on, you will be very happy with upcoming Report changes in version 2.0.  No idea about release date, but is planned to be after 1.33 which probably does not have all the new Report Generator features.
=============================

Re report storage: 

Consider using Sesame report path in a Temp folder that you periodically purge or that clears on exit or startup.

Sesame_Report_Path is a system environment variable that can be set in many ways.  In Win9x use autoexec.bat.  In XP use My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Environment variables.  Edit System variable.

Discussions were held this past weekend on the advantages/disadvantages of keeping/deleting/moving these reports.  Decisions will depend on needs of each individual application.  But using this variable gives you total control of how you want to use it. 

You could even modify your Sesame Code to delete all *.htm files in the folder before a new report is written.  Would not want to do after printing because browser probably would not be able to locate it.

Would not suggest adding a line anywhere to delete immediately after printing or when closing Sesame because browser may still need it to be available and open for scrolling, etc. But could empty the folder when logging in or rebooting or part of Sesame Application

How about programming to delete just when Sesame is started up.  There are lots of options.  Maybe delete all reports over 5 days old, or similar approach.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print