Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Users Conference was great! (Read 2204 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Users Conference was great!
Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:08am
Print Post Print Post  
Just some brief comments upon return from the conference.

===============================
Thanks to all of Lantica staff for the Users Conference, and all the great new features in the next version.

Thanks for listening to us.  I saw many new tools and features that I had requested long ago, but they were not forgotten, and I was pleased to see their future availablity. 

Many other users were saying the same thing, older requests for changes and new tools have been responded to.  And efforts have also been made to maintain backwards compatibility so we can continue to work with the current version while waiting for Version 2 to be available.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

cbt_sj

No personal text

Re: Users Conference was great!
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:22am
Print Post Print Post  
For those of us that weren't able to attend,  Will there be a video tape we can purchase of the conference talks?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 2:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
As far as I am aware there will be no video available.

To all the people that did attend, post up what your favorite class was, what your favorite 2.0 item is, your highest number in the demo application that you saw on Saturday morning, and anything else that you want to share with others on this board.

One thing that Bill and I forgot to mention Saturday morning is if you have any problems or find any bugs in the demo app send an e-mail to support@lantica.com

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

jicecone

No personal text

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am an ex Q&A user and new Sesame user from the start. This is not utilized at my place of business however I incorporate it for things that I do outside of work. Example, Tracking Officials assignments for youth sports, for payment.

Although I do not have the time to attend the conferences, this does not mean that I am not interesed in new ideas about this product and learning more about its use through examples and demostrations. Nor do I expect to obtain this knowledge for free.

I had previously ask if there were any plans about on-lines courses and I have noticed that others have expressed interest in videos of the conferences. In both instances the reply seem to be, (as least to me), well we really don't have, or want to take the time to pursue this type education about our product.

Can someone at least take the oppurtunity to let other users know that other alternatives for learning more about the product are in the planning. And if not , why not? And once again, this is not about the cost, but more about one's desire to learn more about the product.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Can someone at least take the oppurtunity to let other users know that other alternatives for learning more about the product are in the planning. And if not , why not? And once again, this is not about the cost, but more about one's desire to learn more about the product.

Current alternatives are:
1. This Forum
2. The Lantica website Support area
3. Inside Sesame
4. The Training Classes that I am offering

If you are on our Keep Me Posted list, you will be receiving a message regarding demos we are considering offering both in person and online. If you are interested in such a thing, I hope that you will respond to the message.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

jicecone

No personal text

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you, I have signed up as of 3 minutes ago.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 4:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have to agree with Bob Hansen the event was great on many levels. We learned a lot, we got to meet other terrific Sesame users and we were sent off inspired by seeing what has been done and what can be done using Sesame.

The event started out Thursday evening with a meet and greet. It was a lot of fun to talk with the Lantica team and other Sesame users and to meet a few of their spouses.

On Saturday the event started with an introduction from Cliff Sobin. Cliff wears a few hats. He is a user just like many of us. He is not a programmer but has been developing an application that is about to be implemented in his Law practice shortly. He is also part of the Lantica team. Cliff keeps the event on schedule and has the tough job of telling the speakers to wrap it up. Cliff did a great job while keeping a sense of humor the entire time. Thanks Cliff for all your work.

Gordon Meigs was the first presenter and he gave us a terrific education on what can be done with pop-up lists and Combo boxes. He showed us numerous ways to fill them and improve our applications. I was pretty sure I was up to speed on this subject but Gordon proved I always can learn more.

John Mclaughlin followed with an amazing presentation on creating reports. He covered reports with multiple lines, Spaces, calculations and anything else we could dream of. His easy going style lets you learn without knowing your being taught.

After lunch on day 1 we were introduced to Gary Cantell who is the Director of  Management Information Systems (and an awfully nice guy also) for a large facility that is part of the New Jersey Department of human services. Gary worked with Bill Halpern who developed a Sesame application that is presently being used by hundreds of end users at Garys facility.

Bill Halpern took over for Gary and gave us a demo of the application that was absolutely awe inspiring. It was made up of 16 to 20 databases so far and does many amazing things. Bill as always gave us valuable words of wisdom but seeing this application gave us the knowledge that anything can be done with Sesame. Special thanks are in order to Gary, Bill and the State of new Jersey who allowed us to have this application on CD to use to educate ourselves on the techniques that were employed in this application. I have already cut and pasted pieces of this code into my own application, So Thanks Very Much.

The next unfortunate speaker (it had to be difficult to follow Bills great presentation) was Alec Mulvey. Well who ever set this schedule new what they were doing because Alec was up for the task. Alec gave us a presentation of tips that we were able to use immediately. He showed us small tips and techniques that make the tasks of using Sesame just a little easier. To me personally just 1 of the tips he pointed out was worth my entire trip. I will save many frustrating hours thanks to Alec. Between the great information Alec gave and the delicious chocolate he throw at us to make sure we were paying attention the day ended on an extremely high note and I could not wait for the next morning.

Bill Halpern started the day by showing us an application that Ray the Reaper and Ben created. This was not just any application but an arcade game keeping with the Las Vegas Spirit. This application points out beautifully what can be done with sesame. This application allows us to see menu buttons in action. The visibility features of sesame allowing elements to appear and disappear on command. It shows us how we can create moving graphics. It is made up of many different games but has a statistics button that shows how many times each game was played, how many wins, how many losses this shows us how we can integrate the results of all the different databasesd into 1 place. This application is a fun way to see how we can utilize these features in our own real world applications. Ray and Ben I am sure your techniques from this application will find its way into many of our databases for years to come. Thanks for all the effort.

The next speaker was Erika Yoxall. Erika is unreal, between her tasks with Lanticas development team, her tasks with Hammer Data, Her time spent helping anyone who asks on the Sesame forum she also travels around the country teaching Sesame classes.
Today Erika showed us the proper use of variables, talked about scope and showed us many techniques for keeping our code clean and trouble free. I can not even start to explain all the things she showed us but I can tell you that we all would have gladly sat patiently for another few days learning from her if Cliff did not have to keep on schedule and cut her off. (Its just Cliffs job, someone had to do it). To steal a line from my kids Erika you Rock. {As a side note we met her husband Don, I am sure many guys were bummed that she really is married but after speaking with Don at least we know she has a nice guy. Don many of us need to give you big thanks for allowing us to have so much of her time that I am sure you would like to keep for yourself.)

Unfortunately I had to leave early so I missed out on Tom Marcellus. I always love reading  Inside Sesame that Tom edits so I know I missed some really Neat stuff.

I also missed the Demo on Sesame 2.0 so I am hopping someone will fill us in on Toms presentation and the demo.

Overall it was a great conference. I know it took effort from many people some behind the scenes that get none of the glory. We know your there and appreciate your efforts. Ray thanks for all the help, I saw lots of us users getting personalized help this weekend and thanks for the arcade game and all the positives you bring to Sesame. Jay we know you worked all weekend also however seeing you with that beautiful gal of yours we do not feel to bad for you. (Many of us however were wondering what she is doing with you.) Mark (The Cow) you were missed. Many of us this weekend talked about you (Most of it was even nice) and your incredible work. We sure hope to see you at the next conference.

On a personnel note I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing some of the users I have come to call friends over the years and certainly enjoyed meeting new friends and look forward to the next time.  

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 1:11am
Print Post Print Post  
Great recap once again from Bob Scott.

I am sure folks will not mind that you just repeated my opening message.

Your description is so much better than "ditto"  Grin

I knew you would do more justice to the events of the weekend.  Well done Bob, just like your Sesame work.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

FlipGilbert

Running Ver 2.6.4

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 11:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
For me great is an understatement!
It was a pleasure meeting all of you.

All the freebies ROCKED!!!

But not in comparison to all the information I learned while there.

Thank you Lantica!

It's not what a man says that matters or how he says it, but what he does and how he does it.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #9 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 10:39am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Sounds great and, of course, I'm sorry I missed it.  

I'm especially interested in the "meeting other Sesame users" part.  Was anything done about networking?  

I am especially interested in being able to contact other Sesame users in Florida - with a view towards starting a user group (preferably) in the Tampa area  ..... which I would be happy to "host."

Any suggestions?

For personal contact I can be e-mailed at:  
Spencer@SilversOlutionS.org

or through my web-site:
www.SilversOlutionS.org

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2005 at 4:59am by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

UPaul42
Members

been a Q&A user/programmer
since version 2.0

Reply #10 - Nov 6th, 2005 at 3:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Grin
Another round of kudos for the Lantica Team!

I'm very pleased with what I was able to take away in knowledge from the conference. Everyone should be planning for the next one so they can make it. I'm sure it will be somewhere, sometime.

This product has matured and is really becoming useful.
Grin

&&http://www.lantica.com/images/sespro_badges/sespro3.gif&&Paul Anderson&&President&&Systems-Consulting&&89 Main Street, Broad Brook CT 06016&&(860) 627-5393&&Sales@Systems-Consulting.com
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #11 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 7:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
To all the people that did attend, post up what your favorite class was, what your favorite 2.0 item is, your highest number in the demo application that you saw on Saturday morning, and anything else that you want to share with others on this board.

Favorites were the absolutely awe-inspiring demo of the New Jersey database system, and the followup roundtable discussing customized menu systems.  I learned more than my head can comfortably hold, and I plan to plunder the code with relish, chortling BWA HA HA HAAAAA! all the time.

Favorite 2.0 item:  there's too many to mention, but the new ways to convert Q&A databases is impressive.  Oh, the the idea of using an image as a button's label, that's cool, can't wait for that, thanks Ray!

Not sure what you mean by "highest number".

The other thing I liked was Las Vegas.  I won a LOT of chips...brought them all home with me to show my friends.  They're all jealous.  They keep telling me I should have turned them in!  What dummies!  It was a lot of hard work winning those chips, I'm not about to turn them back in!  Sheesh!

Great conference, people!  Let's do it again next week!

Captain Infinity

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #12 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 8:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Oh, the the idea of using an image as a button's label, that's cool, can't wait for that, thanks Ray!

Don't thank me, Thank Mark for implementing that feature.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "highest number".

I meant Highest Score or Highest recorded winnings.

Quote:
Great conference, people!  Let's do it again next week!

Next week Shocked That might be just a little too soon.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged