Normal Topic Report Headers and Footers (Read 744 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Report Headers and Footers
Nov 10th, 2005 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I have tried every way I could think of to use the HTML codes I am familiar with to get headers and footers - perhaps I just don't know how and where to put the code.

I want options (probably in the header) of including things like Printed on date, time - and (probably in the footer) page # of #

Would appreciate being steered in the right direction.  Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Report Headers and Footers
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
I assume you are talking about page headers and footers. I also assume you are using IE to render your HTML. If so, go to File/Page Setup in IE, and a dialog will appear that will allow you to change your page headers and footers. If you put the focus on either the Header or the Footer field in the dialog and press F1, IE will provide you with a tooltip that outlines the mini-language that it uses.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 5:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I knew I had seen some of that stuff somewhere.  Thanks.

Unfortunately, I have to run out now (to show off my report "as is") but when I get back this evening, I will definitely play with this and let you know how I make out.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 4:51am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

OK, I found the page setting options and have several choices for headers and footers and the specific information I wanted is included.

One problem I am having with this is that I don't seem to have any control over where the header and footer is printed (other than that I can left, right or center the text).

I would like to have the date, for example, "tied into" my actual report title.

For example - if my report title (static report layout element) is:

Look who's coming as of

I would like it to read as:

Look who's coming as of November 10, 2005

I tried adding &D (the "tag" for long date format) both to the layout element label (which didn't work) and also to a program field for On print (which didn't work either).

We can incorporate html code in layout elements (e.g. I have used <br> to split the lines of a header).  Is there any way we can incorporate the header and footer "tags" (or whatever they are technically called) in a report layout element to be able to better control where it is printed?

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 1:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

OK, I found the page setting options and have several choices for headers and footers and the specific information I wanted is included.

One problem I am having with this is that I don't seem to have any control over where the header and footer is printed (other than that I can left, right or center the text).

What placement other than right, left, or center do you want in a page header or footer? If you need to horizontally adjust it, add static characters (not preceeded by a "&") to the header / footer.
Quote:
I would like to have the date, for example, "tied into" my actual report title.

For example - if my report title (static report layout element) is:

Look who's coming as of

I would like it to read as:

Look who's coming as of November 10, 2005

I tried adding &D (the "tag" for long date format) both to the layout element label (which didn't work) and also to a program field for On print (which didn't work either).

Micorsoft is able to derive the report title from the title tag in the report. It can be placed in the header/footer with "&w". To get what you are describing in your example in a page header, change the report name to "Look who is coming as of" and place: "&w &D" in the IE settings. Page headers and footers are included as a part of report rendering, not report generation. If you place the "&w &D" in the Page Setup dialog in IE, you will affect the page headers and footers as part of report rendering.
Quote:
We can incorporate html code in layout elements (e.g. I have used <br> to split the lines of a header).  Is there any way we can incorporate the header and footer "tags" (or whatever they are technically called) in a report layout element to be able to better control where it is printed?

Thanks!

From your example, it sounds a lot more like a report or view header, as opposed to a page header. Elements in report or view headers can contain HTML. Can you express in Q&A for DOS report writer terms, which kind of header or footer you are after?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 4:17am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I was just in the process of writing a lengthy reply and after about an hour of "development" I accidently closed Internet Explorer and lost it all.

In any event, I am totally "overwhelmed" by all this and will probably need to address it another day. 

But since so much is involved (for me at least) I am going to try to keep my threads shorter and to very specific points.  So, that is probably what I am going to do with this.  Instead of responding here, I am going to prepare separate "new messages" for smaller pieces of my puzzle.  I hope that will help and that it works.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged