Normal Topic Display of Number Element (Read 421 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Display of Number Element
Nov 12th, 2005 at 3:18am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I have two fields in my database which are number elements.  I used a custom format that includes "Group Digits - No" i.e. no commas (1234 vs 1,234) and zero (0) decimal places.

When I look at the data in a form, both fields appear correctly, e.g.

2           1234

When I look at the data in table view, one of them appears correctly and the other appears with 6 decimal places, e.g.

2.000000      1234

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Display of Number Element
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Table view shows raw data fields, not elements. Numbers are shown to 6 decimals. Cannot change this view currently.

You can drag columns to make them narrower.

You could also design a subform to look like a table view which would allow you some formatting tools.  The widths of the columns in the form will also control the default widths of the table view.  So you could create a form specifically for table view of the data where the number fields are only wide enough to show the integer.

Version 2 will allow formatting of cells including removal of decimals.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Re: Display of Number Element
Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 5:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob -

I understand what you mean by "raw data" but why, then, does one of the number fields show the way I want it - without the decimals.  Could it have something to do with the fact that it was originally a text field which I subsequently changed to a number field?  I don't think that's the answer, because now that it is a number field, I added a "test" record and viewed it in table view and it showed the way I want it.

I can't control the column width to preclude the decimal and zero's because the number have different lenghts.  Aisle numbers (one of the fields) could be one or two digits ... and bin numbers (the other field) could be 3 or 4 digits.

Is there any way to save table views (as we could do in Q&A?)

As for sub-forms, I have never used any - let alone table view - so now you have given me a new challenge (as if I didn't already have enough to do).   *sigh*  (lol)

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged