Normal Topic Conference disk - error in doc? (Read 575 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Conference disk - error in doc?
Nov 15th, 2005 at 4:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm just starting to look at the disk we received at the conference, and I have a question about one of the documents therein, "Custom Menus in Sesame.doc".

Line 31-33 reads:
Quote:
The programming says that if the Global Value equals 1 then load the saved Retrieve Spec named "Custom Menu”, load the saved Sort Spec named “By Date”, and retrieve the new results.

I think there's an error here.  Doesn't "Global Value = 1" load "Program"?  It looks like "Global Value = 2" loads "Custom Menu".

I'm not trying to be nit-picky, I just want to make sure I understand this process because custom menus will be very important for me to use later in my application development.

Thanks for any help.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bill Halpern
Lanticans

Re: Conference disk - error in doc?
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 5:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
You caught me!  You are correct.  It is a dyslexic typo wher iI reversed what they do.  My apologies - good catch.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 5:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bill!

Are you the same Bill who wrote the "Practical Q&A to Sesame Translation" guide on that disk?  Because I have a question about that as well.

The "Before translating" step A.f. reads
Quote:
Only if absolutely necessary, copy the database design, followed by copying all the records to the new design.

This seems to contradict what is required by the "Q&A Database Translation Guide" for a Q&A database to become Generation 1 (page 6, steps 6-9).

I would *much* prefer not having to copy all 27,000+ of my Q&A invoices and 50,000+ Workorders into new databases before translation, because I hate working on Saturdays, even though it would give me a lot of time to play Spider Solitaire and surf the web for pictures of Nikki Cox while it was going on.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bill Halpern
Lanticans

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 7:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
The only databases where you should copy design and copy records are:
1. Q&A 5.0 databases that have been redesigned multiple times.
2. Q&A 4.0 databases which have previously given system errors of the type 04xx or 06xx.
For 5.0 you should always work with a gen 1 and copy design is the only way.  For 4.0 (most people) this is not necessary if you have not had the errors.

The guide was written to take care of all situations.  Most Q&A users have never paid attention to system error screens.  Most 5.0 users don't know if they have redesigned their databases because they did it so long ago.

Thus, the conservative approach.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 7:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you for the information.  I believe I will have a magnificent collection of Nikki Cox pics by the time I am done.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged