Normal Topic SESAME REPORTS ON THE INTERNET (Read 650 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

SESAME REPORTS ON THE INTERNET
Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

First, I am going to quote myself - lol - because I asked a question in another thread that no-one answered, and I would still very much appreciate some responses.  I said:

Quote:
Lastly, I would be very interested in how the HTML format enables viewing reports on web-sites.  How, for example, could I post a report to my web-site?  

I would be very interested in hearing how others have used this feature for viewing on the Internet ... or how they otherwise feel it enhances the report capabilities.

Until I hear from you, I am going to answer myself!!!!    

THANKS to the INCREDIBLE SUPPORT and UNTIRING EFFORTS of BOB HANSEN (the reason we were up until 3 am the other morning),
I can now tell you how I have utilized a Sesame report on the Internet.

First, a little background.  I schedule a reunion that is held every year for over 200 people who come from the town I was raised in:  Middle Village, New York.

I have a web-site that includes a page of anticipated attendees. Every time I am notified of a new attendee, I add their names first to my database and then to the web-site.  Each individual web-site entry requires 5 lines of HTML code.  Then, after I have made all the entries, I have to go to the end of the web-page and adjust the number attending (in two places), the amount paid, the amount owed, etc.  This could happen several times a day and usually does.  On top of that, I have to make individual changes when someone changes an entree choice or sends in a check, etc. etc.  It's like having a full time job.

NOT ANY MORE!!!!!  Now, I simply run (preview) my Sesame Report, view it in source code and copy the source code.  

Then I go the web-site, open the appropriate page and paste my Sesame report into it. WALLA!  No separate entries to make in HTML code, no totals to adjust at the end of page.  My job is done!

SEE IT WITH YOUR OWN EYES!

Anyone who has completed my Sesame Network Registration Form is welcome to view the report.  Just send me an e-mail (not from here, please or the network administator will get the "acknowledgement" you are supposed to get).  Use your personal e-mail and send it to: Spencer@SilversOlutionS.org.  

I'll get back to you and let you know the username and password to use to access the site and the "clicks" you need to make to view the report.  

If you haven't yet completed the Sesame NetWork Registration you can click here - http://www.silversolutions.org/16.html - and you will be taken directly to the form.  While you are on my web-site, I hope you will take the time to look around.

I get so much support here, I am hoping I can "give a little back" by sharing this incredible feature with you.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: SESAME REPORTS ON THE INTERNET
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

Mark answered your question. He made a new thread about it so it would be seen by more people. That thread can be found at.

http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 3:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

Thanks for pointing that out.  Because it was a "new thread" I wasn't "notified" (from the forum) and hadn't seen it when I posted this message.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the report has a "built-in" hyperlink so when posted to the web-site, it even allows you to link to other pages.

Mark answered the "how to" part.  I am still very interested in hearing how others have utilized this feature.

By the way, there is still another advantage to using the report to update the web-site.  Before, even if I made one "teeny little" change to my database ... I had to immediately go to my web-site and update it  .... or I might forget what information I did (or didn't) post and that sould throw a lot of things off.  Now instead of having to go to the web-site a dozen times a day -- it doesn't matter if I wait and do one single update - or even skip a day or two for that matter.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 4:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark asnswered the "how to" part.  I am still very interested in hearing how others have utilized this feature.

We use it internally all the time. We preview Sesame reports of various information, then just click "Send Page..." to email the nicely formatted reports off to each other.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I appreciate the response Erika, but would that be any different from any document that could be sent by e-mail, or simply included as an "attachment" from just about any program?

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 4:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi -

I appreciate the response Erika, but would that be any different from any document that could be sent by e-mail, or simply included as an "attachment" from just about any program?

Thanks!

Sure. Mainly in that the receiver can view the report in pretty much anything, including their email reader, without loss of formatting.  No "snapshot viewer" or special report viewer or converter is needed to instantly send Sesame reports off to someone else, even if they don't have Sesame. 

The difference isn't in the ability to atttach it to an email. The difference is in what can be done with it by the receiving party because the report is standard HTML. First, you know that the receiver will be able to view it without anything yelling about version mismatches and suchlike. After that, if they want, they can also open it in Excel and create a Pivot Chart from the data. Etc. The advantages of using a standard, non-proprietary format...

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged