Normal Topic Need to modify report HEAD section (Read 940 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Need to modify report HEAD section
Nov 16th, 2005 at 6:43am
Print Post Print Post  
I have been struggling to find a method of modifying the contents of the HTML HEAD section.  No success yet.

Although we can put programming into the report header, the earliest part of the HTML document that we can modify is the content is placed in the BODY.

Many reports end up as TABLES in the reports, and some tools that I want to use will not work in TABLES, only in the HEAD.

Any chance of providing a method of programming for the HEAD of the HTML reports?  This will open up many doors of customizing and controlling rendering of reports.

For example my report name is rptSALESSUMMARY2005.  Sesame converts this to the  HTML code for the TITLE.
I have tried using
<HEAD>
-----------<TITLE> 2005 SALES SUMMARY</TITLE> 
</HEAD>
in a value element in the Report Heade  to change the TITLE informationr, but the previous HEAD section supercedes. 

I have some more complex concepts that I want to implement, but need access to modify/replace HEAD contents.

Does anyone have a method to do this?

If not, is there any possibility that this might be available in 1.1.3? 

Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2005 at 12:00am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Re: Need to modify report HEAD section
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 7:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Almost 3 days and no solution....... Roll Eyes

Very unusual ???

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 8:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
You may want to wait till Ray gets back. I don't know of any way other than post-processing the file.

What are you trying to put in the head section?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 10:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Am trying to have report contents sent from Sesame to web site without post processing.

Interested in meta tags for content and other values, and be able to define styles that can be usd in various parts of the body and table cells.

Also have some ID comments etc. that want to have at top when looking at View Source.

==================================
Since one of the strong points of the HTML reports is that the output can be rendered by products of choice, then I want to provide all the HTML in my report.  I do not want go to another product and process before sending it to renderer of choice.  Especially if multiple workstations, now I have one more product that needs to be installed, upgraded, debugged, etc.  Being able to use styles opens up many doors and opportunities.

When Ray comes back, he may have a solution, but I suspect that this ability to enter HTML script in the header is going to require a change in the design. 

Idea:  Could we have an element type ReportHead?  The programming content could be entered just above </HEAD>, providing the option to override Sesame's output and modifying it as we see fit?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 10:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
If your report is being kicked off using SBasic (SelectTreeItem), you may be able to edit the generated file using SBasic's file I/O commands.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 11:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes Sigh........  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Sounds like post processing to me.
Sounds like hard coding from a programmer. 
Sounds like the need to know how to use Sbasic to enhance a report.

What is needed is an EASY ability of end user to create their own reports.  It is tough enough that I need to have them learn HTML.  OK, I accept that for the moment.  Reports will be generated in HTML for rendering by other products.

If HTML is the output vehicle then the user needs to be able to create, modify, control that HTML code.  Sesame is doing a fine job of entering most of the formatting, creating tables, etc. 

By creating report unbound Value elements we can write HTML code inside the BODY of the reports, we can also modify tables, table cells, images, links, etc.  We are almost there.

All I am asking for now is an EASY way for them to insert HTML into the HEAD section on the report.  No need to learn Sbasic, no need to do post processing before rendering.

That initial SIGH is just exasperation..........
Thanks again for listening.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 12:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes Sigh........  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

Sounds like post processing to me.

Yes.
Quote:
Sounds like hard coding from a programmer.

Hard, as in difficult (maybe). Hard, as in inflexible (needn't be).
Quote:

Sounds like the need to know how to use Sbasic to enhance a report.

There are, of course several dozen enhancements you can make to reports without any SBasic or HTML (just SDesigner) at all, including colors, font faces, sizes, styles, images, widths, etc... Using HTML, that range goes into the hundreds, and using CSS within HTML, that goes into the thousands.
Are you aware that you can use CSS within HTML outside of the <HEAD> tag? The only CSS that must be in the <HEAD> tag are CSS tags bound by class.
Quote:
What is needed is an EASY ability of end user to create their own reports.  It is tough enough that I need to have them learn HTML.  OK, I accept that for the moment.  Reports will be generated in HTML for rendering by other products.

What, specifically are you needing them to know in HTML?
Quote:
If HTML is the output vehicle then the user needs to be able to create, modify, control that HTML code.  Sesame is doing a fine job of entering most of the formatting, creating tables, etc. 

By creating report unbound Value elements we can write HTML code inside the BODY of the reports, we can also modify tables, table cells, images, links, etc.  We are almost there.

All I am asking for now is an EASY way for them to insert HTML into the HEAD section on the report.  No need to learn Sbasic, no need to do post processing before rendering.

That initial SIGH is just exasperation..........
Thanks again for listening.

I agree that some means to add tags to the <HEAD> section would be desirable. I was simply trying to get you a solution that is tenable today.

Again, what are you putting in the <HEAD> section that is required to be in the <HEAD> section?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 4:59am
Print Post Print Post  
I want to define some classes that can be referenced in other sections of the report.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged