Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Admin Panel File actions needed (Read 1780 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Admin Panel File actions needed
Nov 29th, 2005 at 8:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Any chance of changing Admininstration Menu bar to allow File-Open/Load/Save As with browse ability?

I have been requesting and receiving log files from some clients to help analyze errors.  Right now I need to rename the existing file and the "temp" log file that was sent to me. 

To keep a copy that I can work from while keeping my normal log file up to date, then I must print the "temp" log file contents to a readable file, then delete the "temp" log file, and rename my original log file to make it active again.

Would  just like the ability to open other log files besides the default.  It would probably be good to be able to Save As and Load to be the current one that Sesame will write to.

Probably not a big demand, but very useful.

Thanks for listening.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Admin Panel File actions needed
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

Well I'll let you in on a little known secret about Sesame's Log Reader/Writer.  Next time you get a log file from a client name it s_log0001.log and Sesame will open that file instead of the s_log0000.log. You see the log reader and writer looks for the highest # existing log file and opens that file, hence why there are 0's after the name. So you only need to save the log file sent to you as a new name one higher than the last one and once you are done delete it. It is important that you do not skip numbers.

Now one of the things that I did here, since I look at logs every day, is I had a seperate directory for Sesame Logs. I put a Sesame Executable in there and run it only to read the logs in there. That executable had no access outside of that directory so it did not affect my normal log files nor could it be used for anything other than reading logs.  When I got a new log from a client I would just name it one higher than the last one and Sesame would read that one when I was in Server Admin.

But I will look into it and see what can be done about the Load and possibly the Save As.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Now one of the things that I did here, since I look at logs every day, is I had a seperate directory for Sesame Logs. I put a Sesame Executable in there and run it only to read the logs in there.
Once again, another simple solution from Ray.   Grin  It also means I do not need to delete any of the log files either.  Nice trick.  And thanks for the info on the numbering scheme for the log files.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 9:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
If I ever finish it up and decide to pack it up, there will be an even simplier solution, an external Log File Reader that can accept a log file name as an argument. I have already built a crude one for personal use and I use it more than I use the Server Admin window.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 10:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Why does the log file need to be encrypted and special viewer?  Why not just have text readable log files?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 10:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Text readable log files means Text editable log files and the log files are the one way that Tech support can see what you have been doing and what has been happening.  The log files may contain tell tale signs of a few things that the user either did not see happen or neglected to tell me about.

but on to your question. The current log files are not encrypted and you can open them in any Text Editor, Don't save them in it though. They will look odd as the files have to follow a particular format as the log files are circular and will wrap at 10,000 entries, in the current logs. They will also look odd as they are binary files, but you can see the date and time stamp, the error code and the details of the error.

If I have anything to do with it the next major version of the Sesame will have an encrypted log file because I have already recieved a log file that had an entry removed in it and it had been edited in an ASCII editor.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 10:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The current log files are not encrypted and you can open them in any Text Editor
Aaargh! Embarrassed
I had opened them in text editors before and saw strings of square boxes, did not scroll to the right enough to see the text.

The file you received with the missing line DID NOT COME FROM ME!  I don't think files need to be encrypted, but they could be ReadOnly or Password Authorized.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 3:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
You are correct, the Log file with the missing line did not come from you. I apologize if I implied that it was from you.

If I password protect it who gets the password?
Read-only is too easy to turn off.

The thing is I depend on those log files every day, they help me do my job faster and more efficiently. When someone does not have it, or it has been changed, it slows me down. So I naturally do everything in my power to protect those files and if I have the option to go to encryption on those files I will do it in a heartbeat. I see no reason not to encrypt them. The only reason I can think of is so that people can open them in an ASCII editor. As of right now the current logs when opened in a Text Editor are going to be hard to read until you replace some characters and tidy them up. Even then if the user has had more then 10,000 errors the log file will have wrapped and you would not be sure where the wrap ends/starts as it may be in the middle of the file.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't know Ray, if they are encrypted and Bob edits them in his text editor, will that not make most, if not all, of the log file undecryptable? Instead, maybe it should have a CRC, that way if it is edited, the edit itself can be detected. And given that most of the log messages are known (and have a known CRC value), it may be able to reestablish the original message.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 10:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
CRC sounds good, but no need to go too far. 

My original request  to be able to choose which files to open and read is most important.  As long as I have a viewer and ability to Save As and/or Print, then I will be content, ReadOnly, encrypted or not.

Right now I print to PDF document, Save As text file from PDF, use text editor to clean up line enditngs and wrap arounds, and have a usable file to use with text editor from that point.

I agree, it is best not to allow changes to real logs, but having non Sesame copies to work with, adding notes, sorting, counting lines, etc. is helpful.

Did not know there was a 10K wrap.  I just finished working with a 7.5K, but typical translations lines have many duplicates of same error trigger. 

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 11:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Actually Ray has a standalone log viewer he wrote (Ray wrote the log viewer in Sesame). He uses it when viewing customer log files because he knows that it can't add entries to the file (as viewing them in Sesame might).

I just asked him the other day if he wants to put it in the package. We'd have to run it by Lantica, but it might show up with 2.0.

As to repeating entries - have you tried the severity filter?

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 12:12am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
severity filter?
Another undocumented tool?

I have used some combinations of Server_Note, Server_Warning, Server_Error, Client_Note, Client_Warning, Client_Error, and No Filter. 

Never heard of Severity Filter..........???

Oops and Ah Ha! .....  Embarrassed
Those are the Severity Filters!  I just noticed the label at the top of the column - Severity. !  I though you were talking about another filter category that was not listed.

So I guess the answer to your question is YES.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2005 at 9:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
My original request  to be able to choose which files to open and read is most important.  As long as I have a viewer and ability to Save As and/or Print, then I will be content, ReadOnly, encrypted or not.

Save as what file format? Save as another Sesame log file, or save as a Text document that is padded, or another format?

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 4:22am
Print Post Print Post  
Would like ability to SaveAs the normal Sesame log format as a minimum.  That will allow to save in other folders from default.  Changing number in the name may be a problem if opened up in normal Viewer if not the correct sequence number?  Would be good to possible change name, but don't wnat to cause a problem.

Would also like ability to read in text format.  But I know there are many "standard" text formats, so I would say DOS text format (but Mark will prefer Unix text format, I understand).
That will allow easy access to do anything, use any naming convention, etc.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 12:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
We always try to use the format appropriate to the OS.

The only difference between "DOS" text format and the rest of the world, is that DOS uses a carriage return and then a linefeed to end each line, and everyone else uses just the linefeed.

IP Logged