Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Switching to Linux (Read 11942 times)
proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Re: Switching to Linux
Reply #30 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 2:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

I have been using Freespire 1.0 for a few weeks now its really good, I have had only two problems the first was setting the permissions to access my windows partition, a little googling solved that, the second is with printing and it holds true for all the linux flavors that I have tried, printing not dark enough and have to resize form for printing. I do believe it is the easist I have used.  Wink

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #31 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 6:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback, Bob (good name   Wink )

I am my own enemy.  I have SUSE 10 installed, has been running 24/7 with no issues. 
But my current problem is lack of time and my own personal need to understand before I act. 
For example, Firefox is installed, running fine,but I cannot find out where it is installed. 
I have installed Putty on my regular Windows system and use spare time to use that as a YAST tool to browse the structures.

I keep relating to Windows structure and organization. 
I can find where other programs are installed, but not all of them, they must be scattered. 
I want to be consistent, so I want to understand the defaults before I add to it.

And as I said, time is not available. 
So I will pick away at this, and at some point I will install Sesame when I know where I want to put it. 
In the meantime, I can use the browser, and play Mahjongg.

Re printing, I still am unable to print, but I have not put in the time to solve the problem. 
I am sure I will be able to Google my way to a solution. 

Thanks again......

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #32 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 6:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob, to find where a program is installed, try the whereis command:
Code
Select All
 whereis firefox  

To find where any file is, use the find command:
Code
Select All
 find / -name sample.txt -print  

If you are installing sesame for your own use, make a directory under your own home directory and install sesame in there. If you are installing it for multiple users on your box, install it under /usr/local.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #33 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 7:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

Suse was my first choice until I read about the deal with the giant, and their licensing agreement was more restrictive than Freespire, In my opinion Freespire is the closest linux I've seen to Windows, installing the software is easy, installing add on software with cnr with one mouse click is super. It even looks very close to windows. I was very surprised it found the wireless card and configuration was very easy, most problems with printing for me was because I have a older panasonic dot matrix form-fed printer that I print work orders to, most of the problems with the actual printing can be minimized with a little redesigning in Sesame. The other problem is with print preview, having to run in a terminal and setting the browser is a little rough each time, there must be a log file somewhere I could edit to have them set a startup. Other than that Sesame is much faster in linux, and Sesame operates almost identical to windows. And you can't beat the cost ($00.00)  Grin

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 12:25am
Print Post Print Post  
Just found a site that shows an extensive database of the Linux equivalent programs for Windows applications. http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html
And another smaller list can be found here: http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/Application_Crossover_Chart

It would probably be good for Lantica to get Sesame added since it is available for both OS.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 12:47am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm not sure how Lantica feels as a whole, but I'm a little uneasy posting to informational non-promotional pages (like grok... and wikipedia, etc) on behalf of Lantica. As a Lantican, I guess, I would fear my statements would be viewed as too subjective and self-promoting.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #36 - Dec 8th, 2006 at 8:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Got linux up and running client & server, on local network and the internet, all running smooth !! After trying every linux flavor out there I found Suse 10.1 rc 2 to be the most stablized, so far everything is working like it should, if my games would just work I could stop duel booting !! Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print