Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) export data unsorted (Read 3236 times)
robwood_ok

No personal text

Re: export data unsorted
Reply #15 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 2:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
My file is a simple flat file.  The sort order I want is the same as the Field Order.  Field #1 is Type Text, Field #2 is Type Number (and only contains numerics), Field #3 is Type Number (and only contains numerics).  I will usually retrieve on a totally different field, but I did also set up a Default Sort Spec, to sort by the first three fields in order.  Retrieval sorting works correctly.  However, Exporting results in a "random" order.   

An example of a few lines of data...

Field 1   Field 2 & 3
Stuff          1    0
Stuff          1    1
Stuff          2    0
More Stuff  4    0
More Stuff  4    1
More Stuff  5    0

When I export I get...

More Stuff   4    1
More Stuff   5    0
More Stuff   4    0
Stuff           2    0
Stuff           1    0
Stuff           1    1

I couldn't tell from the comments if this is supposed to be working by 1.1.4 or will be working in a future release.   The reason I complained about the programming is that it should not be necessary for something this simple.  A "normal" user will never do any programming, and if it doesn't work "out of the box" they will just abandon the software and try something different.  When I have to,  I can and will program (I did a LOT in Q&A, and COBOL and BASIC and a few others)  I still have not done any serious additional programming with Sesame, but I will be once I figure out the whole subform stuff and convert my flat files into something more screen friendly.

Thank you for your comments and help.   Smiley

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #16 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 2:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I couldn't tell from the comments if this is supposed to be working by 1.1.4 or will be working in a future release.

It works more the way you want it in Sesame 1.1.5 (next release, depending on the release schedule of 2.0), in that while it still sorts based on field order, it checks the types of the fields and does a numeric comparison on fields with numeric types for the sort.

It works even more the way you want it in Sesame 2.0, in that it will export the records in result set order in flat databases (only). In forms with subforms, it will still sort in field order to retain the current compatibility with modern databases.

Just out of curiosity, what program are you reading the records into that is so sensitive to sort order?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

robwood

No personal text

Reply #17 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 3:04am
Print Post Print Post  
Wordperfect...I am using the exported file as the datafile for a Wordperfect form.  At the moment, I have to export from Sesame.   Open the Datafile in Wordperfect, resort it in the correct order, then use the WP form to create my pages (that I have to further edit)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print