Normal Topic Sesame needs ODBC to read other data (Read 1061 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Sesame needs ODBC to read other data
Dec 5th, 2005 at 10:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Time for me to bring up ODBC again.

Working with a Sesame office in one state with headquarters in another state, over 1500 miles away.  Headquarters is using Access.  We need to share some data.  (Hope to use network and mapping which are outside Sesame and should not be a problem.)

Headquarters cannot use Access ODBC to read Sesame.  When I last tried to do that, if subforms are included, then data was not correct.  (I don't remember the details).  Suggestion from headquarters is that Sesame should be trashed and Access used instead.

If I had Sesame tools to use ODBC to read Access data, then I might be able to get Headquarters to trash Access instead and get more Sesame users.

I need Sesame with ODBC linking capablilites to read relational databases (Access specifically now) more than I need a sorted Data Dictionary.   At this time I can accept the ability to ReadOnly and not be able to add/modify.  Hopefully these links could be in Sesame tables that can be used with XLU statements.

Or, fix the existing problem with ODBC and subform hierarchical data so Access reading Sesame will be good.  That allows us to keep Seame as a slave vs. throwing it out.  The ability to Read from Access though, allows Sesame to be the main database and Access becomes the slave, can get more Sesame installations that way.

(I believe that this ODBC issue also affects Word connections with subform data. I gave up working on that some versions ago). 

We all have our own priorities, just getting one of mine on the table.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame needs ODBC to read other data
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 12:47am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Or, fix the existing problem with ODBC and subform hierarchical data so Access reading Sesame will be good.  That allows us to keep Seame as a slave vs. throwing it out.  The ability to Read from Access though, allows Sesame to be the main database and Access becomes the slave, can get more Sesame installations that way.

(I believe that this ODBC issue also affects Word connections with subform data. I gave up working on that some versions ago). 

When you last brought this problem up. I tested the hierarchial query in the Sesame ODBC driver. I found it to be working well. Quoted from me, from then:

Quote:
It does require that the default query be edited to connect the ParentID in the child table to the RecordID in the parent table in MSQuery. But other than that, it worked pretty well.

Have you tried that?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 12:53am
Print Post Print Post  
For those of you that have no idea what we are talking about - ODBC is, by default relational. Sesame provides it with natural links, and ODBC queries have no idea how to connect the child table with the parent. Knowing this the author of our ODBC driver provides an additional field in the parent and the child and sets them to matching values - thus indicating that this child goes with this particular parent. In MSQuery, you can edit the query (by dragging lines and arrows around) to indicate the "linking" fields. This must be done once in a hierachial ODBC query to tell it which fields in Sesame "tables" indicate that link.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 6:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark,

I did miss that reference to make the link.  I will try that, may take a few days for me to test that out..... If that works (and I suspect that it will), that at least allows Access/Word to read Sesame.  So Sesame will be a slave.

But would still like to push for providing the ODBC for Sesame to read other databases?  That would really be the preferred choice to make Sesame the predominant database manager.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
But would still like to push for providing the ODBC for Sesame to read other databases?  That would really be the preferred choice to make Sesame the predominant database manager.

It is a major undertaking. Take this up with Bill Halpern. If you can convince him that there will be sufficient demand...

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, thanks for the secret words....... Grin

Bob Hansen