Normal Topic Do anything today? (Read 1065 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Do anything today?
Dec 6th, 2005 at 1:52am
Print Post Print Post  
Well today was strange. For the last few days the electrical power at work has been just strange. It must be some sort of voltage drop - not really long enough to cause a computer to drop, but long enough for all of the UPSs to alarm. It seems to happen much more in the mornings than the afternoons. Between 7:00 and 10:00 a.m. we had UPSs alarming every few minutes.

Ray and I finally got fed up and turned off the alarms and called the power company. They sent a guy out (surprisingly) and he took a look around. I don't know what he could see just walking around the building....

Also, Ray, came in to a dead computer. His main email box (a pretty critical chunk of hardware) wouldn't boot. Not from HD, or CD, or even floppy. So he popped the HDs and put them in a different computer and rescued his most important files (your emails). So we're down one computer. It was getting pretty old (P3, 128 Mb).

I think, after a while the beeping ruined Ray's mood, so he shuffled his stack of minor outstanding bugs and offered me my choice of bugs to fix. I picked a PrintToHtml bug that I've been meaning to get to. He grabbed a SelectTreeItem bug that has been lingering.

Erika reports that the classes in Toronto went well. She is now getting ready to teach the classes in Dallas.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Do anything today?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 6:08am
Print Post Print Post  
I think the most important bug is the 1.1.3 issue where the first element focused does not fire when coming out of tableview subform.     There is no way to know that some programming did not run, and can't rely on clicking on other button first.

Still do not want to upgrade with that problem.  Can live with the email issue for now.  That only affects users of that function.  But the non-firing element issues affects all users with tableview subform, correct?  I suspect that most users have at least one form with that design.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Lets see if I can address these one at a time:

1. The On Entry bug has been fixed (same day it was found). The fix is available on request.
2. The Sendmail bug is also fixed (also the same day), and available on request.
3. Notes on this are available on the "Sesame Workarounds" page under Support: http://lantica.com/Support/sesame_workarounds.html
4. The table view problem is actually much more specific than simply having a table. As far as we can tell, it requires that the user click in the table, and without clicking or navigating out of the table, or entering edit mode on the table, click in the LE in question. It does not happen from table edit mode, nor from any other LE.
5. Users with subforms, nevermind table view subforms, are definitely in the minority. The majority of Sesame databases are flat.
6. Very few forms have data critical code in a LE on entry event, and those that do, should redesign immediately. This is true with or without the fix (or in 1.1.2). There is no way to be sure that the user will ever navigate to any particular LE. As such, the huge majority of LE on entry programs are (and should  be) convenience functions. If you have data critical code in a LE enter event, it is absolutely necessary that that data be checked on form exit, in that you have no way of knowing if the user simply skipped that LE. This is true for any program that supports both the mouse and multiple fields on a form.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the link to the work arounds Mark.  I don't go there on a regular basis.  I must have missed a message on the forum that work arounds were posted there.

I consider all programming to be critical.  If not critical it is not needed and can be eliminated.

The workaround that is referenced does not seem practical to me.  I can have programming on entry to every element, I have no idea which one will be clicked on, and cannot replace every element with a button. 

Since it is noted that the fix is in 1.14, then I guess I will have to wait for that release.   I must be missing something in the explanation here.  I cannot believe that others are not concerned about this issue.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 9:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the link to the work arounds Mark.  I don't go there on a regular basis.  I must have missed a message on the forum that work arounds were posted there.

I consider all programming to be critical.  If not critical it is not needed and can be eliminated.

Note that I said "data critical". For example, programming that allows selection from a popup - yet still allows the user to enter any value, even if it does not appear in the popup, would not be "data critical" in that any value is legal. It is merely a convenience. But code that checks that a part number is new and has not been used previously, is "data critical".

Quote:
The workaround that is referenced does not seem practical to me.  I can have programming on entry to every element, I have no idea which one will be clicked on, and cannot replace every element with a button. 

The only "workaround" suggested on the web site is to request the HF from technical support. The workaround you are referring to was a suggestion to the particular customer that discovered this problem and the suggestion was directed to his specific circumstances.

Quote:
Since it is noted that the fix is in 1.14,

It is in 1.1.3 HF1, as stated on the web page.

Quote:
then I guess I will have to wait for that release.   

As I mentioned it is available on request for those that need it.

Quote:
I must be missing something in the explanation here.  I cannot believe that others are not concerned about this issue.

Again, if you have data critical code in a LE on entry event - redesign. You have no way of knowing that it will ever run in that the user may (and always can, in any program with a mouse) opt to skip that field.

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe I was the one that reported the coming out of tableview not firing bug, I took Ray's advice and added a command button, the next day I got the hot fix and have had no problems since.I have requested tech support for another product I own, been 8-months now still waiting, Sesame tech support is second to none !!

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree that support is second to none. 

It must be me.

I cannot find reference to hot fix for this problem.   I see the hot fix for the email problem that I can probably wait for.

From the work arounds page: Quote:
Bug: @SendMail no longer works with the designated mail server.

Symptoms:
@SendMail returns a -9 as an error code, indicating that it is attempting a login on a server that does not require or expect a login or password.

Workaround:
Contact Lantica Technical Support for a hot fix release (1.1.3 HF1).

Workaround:
Hotfix available. Contact Technical Support.

Fixed in 1.1.4.

=====================================
Bug: On LE entry programming does not fire when navigating using the mouse directly from a table view subform to the LE in question on the main form.

Symptoms:
This is evidenced when the table subform is not in "edit mode" and the user uses the mouse to go directly from a cell in the table view subform to an LE with LE entry programming. The programming will not fire.

Workaround:
Avoid using LE entry programming for data critical tasks, in that it is impossible to assure that that LE will ever be entered. Replace the LE with a command button to allow for non-critical programming on the data in the table view sub-form. Move the programming to a LE that is in the natural navigation flow.

Fixed in 1.1.4.

It appears that the hot fix 1.1.3 HF1 is only for the email problem.  If it is for both, then I think the web page should be modified to show the hot fix for each of the items. 

From proudpoppy's response above, it does sound like that patch is for both.  If it is for both, then I will get it and install it.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
All hot fixes include all previous fixes.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 12:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark.....

I must have missed that instruction too. Embarrassed

I have requested the hotfix.  Could not have done it without you!

Sorry to have you holding my hand with this.......I will try to do better. Embarrassed

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged