Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) general help/advice (Read 2867 times)
jenglish

No personal text

general help/advice
Dec 14th, 2005 at 3:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello everyone-
I'm new here.  I have recently started a new job with a small business.  I am not generally very good w/computers, but unfortunately am the best of our group.  In any event I am now the "computer guy." 

The business has been using Q&A databases during its entire existence.  We have bought Sesame 1.0 and intend to convert to Sesame.  First question- should we convert?  Q&A works fine for us, but we are worried that symantec no longer supports the product.

Assuming we will convert- how well do I need to understand Q&A in order to set up Sesame?  Should I learn how to design applications in Q&A and get very familiar with the program or should I be able to start from scratch with Sesame?

Any advice about these issues, translation isssues, or anything else related would be most appreciated.

Also am considering a training seminar with hammer data- has anyone had any experiences with them?

Thanks for the help!!

-Jeff

IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Re: general help/advice
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
The business has been using Q&A databases during its entire existence.  We have bought Sesame 1.0 and intend to convert to Sesame.
Make sure you have version 1.1.3.

First question- should we convert?
Yes! As new hardware may not want to play with Q&A.

Q&A works fine for us, but we are worried that symantec no longer supports the product.
As long as Q&A is working you can take your time to do everything right.

Assuming we will convert- how well do I need to understand Q&A in order to set up Sesame?
Two different animals that understand each other. Sesame directions are I think easy to follow.

Should I learn how to design applications in Q&A and get very familiar with the program or should I be able to start from scratch with Sesame?
Don't worry about Q&A!  Translate, following directions.  If something does not work then start learning Sesame to make programs work your way.

Any advice about these issues, translation isssues, or anything else related would be most appreciated.
Sesame manuals and directions are usually clear and if you have a question, well this is the place. Cheesy

Also am considering a training seminar with hammer data- has anyone had any experiences with them?

I wish I had support to go to training seminars!  I undserstand they are excellent, but others who have gone can better answer this.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello jenglish

There is no correct answer for how to go about the conversions for all companies.  Each of them may need to be done differently.

I am one person who still provides support for Q&A in addition to Sesame.  So if you need help with Q&A while going through the translations to Sesame then contact me off line. 

I would suggest that you only do one translation at a time.  If it is working now, don't do anything to disable that.  Sesame does provide the ability to read existing Q&A databases so the conversion can go in steps.

But another thing to keep in mind is that Q&A is probably designed in "flatfile" structure.  It may have some "relational" structures using XLookups also, it depends on your original developers.  But Sesame will provide some better tools, and more of them with its hierarchical structure.  So it may be worth it to take this opportunity to start with a new Sesame structure vs. a straight translation and the need to make changes to that later on.

You may want to translate some Q&A databases as is,. but replace some of your Q&A databases with new Sesame databases starting from scratch.

I did attend a pilot program for the Sesame training sessions, and can say first hand that you will receive excellent training from Erika.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 6:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hello everyone-
I'm new here.  Also am considering a training seminar with hammer data- has anyone had any experiences with them?

Thanks for the help!!

-Jeff

Jeff,
Welcome to the forum.

You have probably just found the best Forum on the web. Not only will you get help from friendly and knowledgeable users but you will be able to interact with the developers and creators of Sesame. The Sesame tech support is second to None.

As far as the classes offered by Hammer data systems, They are wonderful. You will leave the classes with lots of knowledge and the confidence you need to achieve your goals. I have taken a few already and was so impressed with them I am planning to attend more.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 8:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
JEnglish,

If you are interested in the classes, I am currently trying to get a few more registrations for a session in Tampa for Jan 24-26.

(Yes, Spencer, you read that right. I found a good place in Tampa.)

To schedule the classes, I need just a few more registrations, and I need them by tomorrow. If anyone wants to go to Florida in January, go vote/register!
https://www.hammerdata.com/votesesame.php

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

wildwood

No personal text

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,
I am sure Spencer will be thrilled to have a seminar in Tampa. Now, how about one closer to the New York City area. With a population of over 9 million there has to be quite a bunch of Sesame users.

Peter

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 10:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Erika,
I am sure Spencer will be thrilled to have a seminar in Tampa. Now, how about one closer to the New York City area. With a population of over 9 million there has to be quite a bunch of Sesame users.

Peter

Didn't I just see you in Toronto? Why are you looking for New York?

At any rate, New York City itself is out of the question. The hotels are unionized to the hilt. I'd have to charge an absurd amount for the classes to cover the costs.  They won't even let me use my own projector.

Both New Jersey and Boston have been available for vote for quite some time, but not many bites. The vertical middle of the country has been most popular for some reason. Both the East and West Coasts have screamed that they want classes, but when it comes time to actually register, they don't do so.  Bottom line, I'll go wherever enough people register.

- Hammer
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 2:48am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika -

Quote:
If you are interested in the classes, I am currently trying to get a few more registrations for a session in Tampa for Jan 24-26.  

(Yes, Spencer, you read that right. I found a good place in Tampa.)

YIPPEE!!!!!

HO-HO-HOOOO!!!!!

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2005 at 8:07pm by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:18am
Print Post Print Post  
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE DELIGHTFUL, WARM, SUNNY, FRIENDLY TAMPA, FLORIDA, VISIT: http://www.tampa.com/
JUST A HOP, SKIP AND A JUMP FROM ATLANTA, GEORGIA

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR HELP, CALL SPENCER (813) 286-8498

I'LL EVEN HEAT MY POOL FOR YOU!!!!

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2005 at 8:11pm by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 2:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Didn't I just see you in Toronto? Why are you looking for New York?

Erika, I'm almost certain you are thinking of a different Peter.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

wildwood

No personal text

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 2:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,
You are correct!!!!!
It is a different Peter. Closest I've ever been to Toronto is Buffalo or a Ranger game vs. the Maple Leafs at THE GARDEN.

Peter, from NYC

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 4:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Peter, should I put you on our SANE* Users Group mailing list? 

Next meeting is in February.  Others from New York have attended in the past.

---------------------------------------
*Sesame Associates of New England

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 4:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Wildwood: Sorry, wrong Peter!

Spencer: Don't get too excited yet. As I said, I need a few more registrations and I need them today. Otherwise, I won't be able to do the Tampa classes.

- Hammer
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 5:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika (and anyone even "thinking" about the training) -

Well, in all seriousness, I just want to do everything I can to help.

Tampa is a very easy town to be in and easy to get to.  It is about a 6 hour driving distance from Atlanta, Georgia.  

Anyone not in the south can fly here in a couple of hours and get away from the snow. They can attend your heralded training and enjoy a vacation-like repreive from work.

I am 5 minutes from the airport ... and would be happy to pick up anyone who wants to fly in the day before.   And, likewise, I'll be happy to pick anyone up where they are staying and take them to the motel.

I have a spare cell phone, if anyone would like to use it while they're here.  I'll give them the number in advance, so they can leave the number with friends.

Have you contacted Dave Flaks?  Does he know of anyone who might be interested?

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to help make it happen?  And, likewise, I'll be happy to pick anyone up where they are staying and take them to the motel.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 6:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Have you contacted Dave Flaks?  Does he know of anyone who might be interested?

I don't think so. If you want to drop him a note, go ahead. Tell him to make sure people know that the deadline is upon us...

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print