Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Merge Picture (Read 3773 times)
Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Merge Picture
Reply #15 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 7:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
I will give it a try in word 2003 here shortly and see if it gives me the same behavoir that you describing.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #16 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl -

I guess we are both struggling with the same issue - isn't it frustrating?!!

Ray et al -

The "good" news is that this can work.  The "bad" news is that it seems to work only if and when it wants to and is, therefore, extremely frustrating.

A basic error I had made - before talking to Carl - is that I was typing the French curly braces.  OK, I won't do that any more.  I now know to use Control/F9 to create them and, for the "photo," to use the "Insert Merge Field" and select photo (the LE containing the path to my picutes).

I tried playing with the steps you outlined Ray and got nowhere.  Only when I use the steps you mentioned do I get *MERGEFORMAT at the end of the code.  Carl seems to only want to know what the INET is that he gets (and I don't).  I would like to know what the *MERGEFORMAT is for.

When I enter the code  using Control/F9 and manually type everything it works some of the time and not others.  I cannot distinguish what I am doing differently that causes it to work or fail.

Assuming I (or we) we can figure this out, that would leave me with two concerns.

1)  I need to have the ability to save the "master" document and be able to re-use it for subsequent merges.  As Carl said - and even with me using Word 2003 - the code is changed as soon as "save" is clicked.

2) Although I created a table and use a "cell" for the picture insert code, the size of the picture varies from label to label.  Is there any way that a picture "size" can be included in the command?

Both Carl and I are well aware that this is obviously a "Word" issue and not a Sesame issue per se.  On the other hand, in order for the graphic capability of Sesame to be "useful" in common applications, the ability to do this type of merge is crucial.

So, thanks for all your ongoing help ... and I do hope we can get this "flat."  

Once again, having done it once (and intermittently after that) I am very encouraged.  The first time I saw the appropriate pictures on each of over 200 labels I was at first flabberghasted and, in the end ecstatic!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 7:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I have figured out what the problem is.

Spencer, I'm going to make you wait in anticiption... Lips Sealed

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 8:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl,

Which way do you figure out to make it stop doing it?

I was able to make it save the merge field by changing the c:\\Sesame\\Pics\\ to c:/Sesame/Pics/

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I tried playing with the steps you outlined Ray and got nowhere.  Only when I use the steps you mentioned do I get *MERGEFORMAT at the end of the code.  Carl seems to only want to know what the INET is that he gets (and I don't).  I would like to know what the *MERGEFORMAT is for.

Those steps that I posted will get you a merged image in Word 2000, due to program changes following those instructions in any other version of Word is like reading a truck repair manual while working on a car. Sure some stuff may be the same, but it will not be exact.

As for what MERGEFORMAT is, well according to Word it is the switch that ensures that the merged data has the same font face and size that you set to the merge field.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #20 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Actually, I didn't make Spencer wait very long. I called him to let him know what I found.

The answer was so simple, I can't believe that I didn't figure it out sooner. All I needed to do was remove the "C:" from the path. It would then allow me to save the master document, without changing the field codes I had built.

Ray, your solution also works. And is probably better as well, because your solution would allow the use of a drive letter, if someone needed that.

What is confusing is, a pathname should be using backslashes, not forward slashes, right? In any case, I am glad to have found a solution.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #21 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 9:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
What is confusing is, a pathname should be using backslashes, not forward slashes, right? In any case, I am glad to have found a solution.

On Windows, yes a path should be using a backslash, which is also the standard escape character.

There is another way to stop this behavior as well.
In word go to Tools->Options
Click on the General Tab
Click the Web Options button
Click the Files tab
Uncheck the "Update Links on save" checkbox

Also I believe I just found a way around having to merge to a new document, at least in Word 2003.
In word go to Tools->Options
Click on the Printing Tab
Check the "Update Links" checkbox

This should enable you to print straight to the printer. I tested it on my computer and it works fine.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #22 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 12:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Uncheck the "Update Links on save" checkbox

Ahhh, where was this answer when I needed it. Wink
I looked for such an option, but could not find it. That option is buried pretty deep. Besides, I didn't expect it to be under Web Options.

Quote:
Also I believe I just found a way around having to merge to a new document

Well, in my case, I actually want to create a new document for this data, so it can be sent to the printing company as a package ready to print. (And yes, I removed the \d option from my field code, so that the images will be included with the document file.)

Thanks for the help Ray and Erika.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #23 - Dec 22nd, 2005 at 2:21am
Print Post Print Post  
I is so very very happy!

Thank you, all!

And, as if all this wasn't good enough,

I even managed to trap the squirrel
that was in my back yard - and set him free.

And after all this, I still have the Tampa training
to look forward to January 24-26.

Life is good!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, Y'ALL!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print