Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sesame in Linux (Read 2285 times)
proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Sesame in Linux
Dec 24th, 2005 at 12:26am
Print Post Print Post  
I have been trying out different versions of linux, so far all them have a problem with the print command, just don't work, and ubuntu has a big problem I can't even get Sesame  to execute at all.Anybody have any experience with these problems or ideas. Cow I think you are the only one I know who I'd consider a expert on linux, what dist do you think is the best to use for Sesame, I'm leaning toward Xandros-Deluxe edition.
Thanks all that respond.
poppy

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame in Linux
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 12:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame is developed on Suse 9.3 and Red Hat (as well as Windows).

When printing, launch Sesame from the command line and see if an error is being returned on the console. Sesame (on Linux) defaults to a postscript compatible printer on "lp" as specified by the environment variable LPDEST.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 2:26am
Print Post Print Post  
While I have no personal experience with Ubuntu, at least one customer I met at one of Erika's classes was running Sesame on Ubuntu. I don't know which version. We have also heard from customers on Mandrake.

Did you try both the OLib and the NLib versions of Sesame on Ubuntu?

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 2:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Everything works fairly well in Xandros, the only problem I have is that when I preview a report the web browser don;t launch and display it, I find the reports on the file system but I would really like them to automattically be displayed in the web browser "firefox".

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 2:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
While I have no personal experience with Ubuntu, at least one customer I met at one of Erika's classes was running Sesame on Ubuntu. I don't know which version. We have also heard from customers on Mandrake.

Did you try both the OLib and the NLib versions of Sesame on Ubuntu?

Yes I tryed both of them the only thing I can figure is I didn't install them as root, or maybe some permissions are wrong.
I may end up with mandivia other then the print problem everything worked best in it.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 2:56am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Everything works fairly well in Xandros, the only problem I have is that when I preview a report the web browser don;t launch and display it, I find the reports on the file system but I would really like them to automattically be displayed in the web browser "firefox".

If you are launching from the command line, you are probably seeing an error either mentionig that you need to set the BROWSER environment variable, or that the browser it is set to by default (usually "netscape") can't be found. If you set the "BROWSER" environment variable to "firefox" (you might need the full path if it is not on your command path), you should be able to use firefox instead.
Code
Select All
BROWSER="/usr/bin/firefox"
export BROWSER

You should also the set the environment variable "SESAME_BROWSER" to firefox.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 2:57am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Yes I tryed both of them the only thing I can figure is I didn't install them as root, or maybe some permissions are wrong.
I may end up with mandivia other then the print problem everything worked best in it.

When you try to print from the command line, using either "lp" or "lpr" what happens?

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #7 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 3:53am
Print Post Print Post  
I will have to try these when I go back to work, I don't have a machine at home with linux on it.But the print problem was evident on all the dist;s I have tried. The command tree command to print to default when clicked turns red but nothing happens. But if i click print to default(no background) it prints/ This is consistant in all the dist's I've tryed.
"mandiva-2006, Xandros, knoppix, , mandrake-10, " The form has line and boxes on it when it prints to default no background nothing prints but the text. I thought the line and boxes maybe the problem, but I went into open-office writer and made some boxes and lines and they printed fine ??

Thanks  for any help given "newbee to linux.

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #8 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 4:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sesame is developed on Suse 9.3 and Red Hat (as well as Windows).

When printing, launch Sesame from the command line and see if an error is being returned on the console. Sesame (on Linux) defaults to a postscript compatible printer on "lp" as specified by the environment variable LPDEST.

What would be the command to launch from the command line.
And where would you set the environment variable.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 4:08am
Print Post Print Post  
The way printing typically works on Unix is that there is a program called "lp" (AT&T system V) or "lpr" (Berkeley Standard) that is a proxy for the real printing system. To print a file called "my_test.txt":

Code
Select All
lp my_test.txt

or
Code
Select All
lpr my_test.txt

What happens behind the scenes is highly configurable, and usually is not automatically configured. There are several "printer driver" setups available for Unix. The most popular right now is called "CUPS" (common unix printing system). It was written by one of the authors of FLTK - a guy named "Mike Sweet".

lp or lpr pass the file to the appropriate printing subsystem for your Linux box and your printer. It is that subsystem that really does the work.

In Sesame, printing is done entirely in postscript. After the postscript file  created by Sesame is passed to "lp" by default. lp or lpr has to be setup to use the correct printing subsystem for your box and your printer. Most Linux distributions come with system administration GUI tools to help you do this. Much like "add a printer" under control panel in Windows.

For Sesame to print on Linux, you should first check if "lp" or "lpr" are configured.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #10 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 4:32am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:

What would be the command to launch from the command line.
And where would you set the environment variable.

To start a command line on most Linux desktops, look for an icon marked "Terminal" or "Terminal Window" or "Console". That will start a command line window, with a command prompt, etc...

Typically sesame should be installed in "/usr/local", to invoke from there you would use:
Code
Select All
/usr/local/Sesame/Program/NCLib/sesame

Of course, you can (and should) add Sesame to your command path, so you can just type "sesame".

How you set an environment variable depends on the command shell you are using. Page 462-464 covers this. In any case you would invoke a command line window, often called a "terminal window" on Unix. That will provide you with a command line. After you have set the variables the way you want them, you will want to edit the command shell startup file that gets invoked when you log in to include the variables and path settings you want. This file will be called .cshrc, .profile, or .bashrc. This will cause the environment variables to get set every time you log in.

Do you know any of the Unix command line commands (such as "ls", "cp", "rm", "mv", etc...)?

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #11 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 5:10am
Print Post Print Post  
I know how to get to the command line "terminal" thats about it. Need to find me a good book on linux.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 2:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Need to find me a good book on linux.

Well, maybe. A lot of Linux can be run from the Desktop with the command line. Using the command line can give you finer control. If you are only learning the command line for Sesame, you won't need to know much. Do you know the command line commands in DOS? There are a number charts on the web that show DOS commands and the Unix equivalent.

Here are a few:
http://www.csupomona.edu/~cs/labs/help_pages/unix-wkshop/cmd-list.htm
http://www.mcsr.olemiss.edu/unixhelp/DOStoUNIX.html
http://www.wordesign.com/unix/coniglio.htm

It is also likely that you have all of the books you will need already installed on your distribution. The first command I teach new Unix users is the "man" command. It is short for "manual". If you type "man" on the command line followed by the name of command, it will show you the manual page for that command:
Code
Select All
man ls

If you are looking for a command, you can type "man -k" followed by a search term and it will show you a list of all of the commands that include that search term along with a brief description of each.

This example will look up commands that have the term "whatever" in their descriptions:
Code
Select All
man -k whatever

One of the first command line commands most people learn is "ls" (that is a lower case "L" followed by a lower case "s"). It is like "dir" on DOS. It lists the contents of the current directory.

After that is "cd" - change directory. It is the same as on DOS - but remember that the slashes go the other way ("/" for unix; "\" for DOS).

If you have any specific questions about Unix, I'll do my best to answer them.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 5:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Proudpoppy,

I found out why Sesame won't come up in Ubuntu. It isn't crashing. It is refusing to run because Ubuntu does not include one of the libraries that Sesame wants: libstdc++.so.5. Ubuntu includes libstdc++.so.6 instead. I'm looking into how to install the compatibility libraries on Ubuntu.

To run on systems that use libstdc++.so.6, you need to install the package: compat-libstdc++-33. It should be available where ever you got your Linux distribution and installable using you "software manager" or "package manager" or "update manager".

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #14 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 3:41am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark, I downloaded SuSe 9.1 last night and I dropped by my office and installed it, it seems alot better than any of the other dist's I've tried, so I suppose, I will try and use that one, the printer problem I'm having was still there in SuSe, also the problem with the brower so I'll work to figure out these two problems.

1.The printer is being sent a command to print, but between Sesame and cups its getting lost, I'll try your suggestions on Tuesday, the printer is a dot matrix panasonic kxp3626 24-pin and none of the linux dist's have the proper driver I'am having to use a epson LQ-24 driver as suggested by panasonic.It will not print anything from Sesame in the form of lines and boxes only text, but in open office it prints lines and boxes perfect?? The print command that does not work is the "print form to default" command "when clicked turns red for a while nothing never happens". The "print form to default(no background)" prints fine, but text only.

2.The reports not appearing in the brower problem was evident in SuSe also but the web brower was konquer, I installed firefox with "yast" but didnot get a chance to test it before I had to leave. But I could tell that the SuSe dist was by far a very stable version. Again Thanks for all your suggestions !!!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to All !!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print