Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) MAJOR CATASTROPHE - PLEASE HELP (Read 2217 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

MAJOR CATASTROPHE - PLEASE HELP
Dec 25th, 2005 at 6:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I sent you a "private" message but I don't know whether you see those as soon as you see the ones on the forum, so here goes again.

I am having a major stability issue with my most critical database and it affects the reunion I am coordinating - which has frequent entries throughout the day.

I would very much appreciate a call at (813) 286-8498 or I would be happy to call you if you would give me the number.  (I tried the office but got a recording).

I just lost 5 records and the database is extremely slow and acting strangely - for example I don't seem to be able to delete "blank" records.  

I would be much more comfortable talking about this, because it contains ALL of the data I need to coordinate the reunion and it would be a major catastrophe for me if it is not functioning correctly.

I am eagerly waiting to hear from you.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: MAJOR CATASTROPHE - PLEASE HELP
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 6:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just sent you an email on the subject. Before you do anything else, copy the .db and the .dat file to a safe directory. Do this outside of Sesame (using explorer or command line).

I cannot diagnose this over the phone - like Ray. I am not technical support. Without seeing the application I wouldn't even know what questions to ask you. As I mentioned in my email, you can send me your application via email, and I will take a look at it. If at all possible, please include instructions to cause the effect.

Ray will be back in the office on Tuesday.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 6:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

The file is on the way.  Would appreciate knowing when you receive it.

In addition to the "problems" described above, here's another "strange" occurrence.

If add a record to the database, the record number assigned has restarted at "1" whereas the Application Property Manager is set for (@number) 2205.

I made a copy of the database - using Windows Explorer - however, I am unable to open it ... even after "unlocking" it.

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have it, but so far don't see anything wrong with it. Can you give me a hint?

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 7:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I'll be very frank.  It is very difficult for me to write about this rationally because every time I try I am practically in tears. 

I cannot begin to tell you how important this database is to me and the projects I work on and I guess, at this point, I can barely think straight.

If Ray could call me on Tuesday, I would very much appreciate it.  Certainly, I will try calling him.

Thanks.

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

So far, the file structure appears to be fine. There is no sign of corruption. If there is something wrong, it is likely to be a pretty easy fix.

I know that you have been up all night (working on the initial value for images). But I don't think you need to worry. This appears to be a "whole" application. Take some time off and get some sleep.

I'll keep looking at it to see if I can find anything wrong. If I don't, I'll pass it on to Ray.

In any case, turn off your computer (maybe a reboot will help) and get some sleep.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 7:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

Taking a look at it, I see that you recently added your default image to the system (as per your posts here last night). This default image appears on the majority of your records. It is also very large (1003 x 1050 pixels) and must be scaled into a very small image window (161 x 141 pixels). Since this is a recent addition, and must be read from disk, sent to the UI, and scaled to fit - it is likely that this accounts for the "slow down".

Here I have built a scaled to fit image for you:

I would suggest that you try this image (right click on it to download it to your computer) and that you reboot your machine before proceeding.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 12:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,

I found the problem. It is not severe. It has to do with using an image as an initial value. Until we can get a hot fix release out for this, simply remove the initial value on the image LE.  The problem it was causing is purely one of communications, so your database integrity appears to be fine.

If you absolutely must have an image initial value before the HF release, place a static image where the image LE appears (slightly smaller) and hide the static image when the image LE has a value.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 12:26am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I'm delighted that you found a problem because this situation has literally gotten me sick.

What I would like to know is whether you know what it is causing.

As I said my F3 function key is not working correctly

My @number is not working correctly

I just discovered 2 more records that were wiped out and I am panicking that I might lose additional records and that there might have been others that I am not yet aware of.

Some of the information related to the reunion - affecting over 220 individuals is not retrievable from any other place and I am now "backed up" on changes I have to make.

I would feel 1000 percent better if I could talk to someone "live" about this.

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 12:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

I'm delighted that you found a problem because this situation has literally gotten me sick.

With any program, but especially with those that can be configured, programmed, or edited - backup frequently. In 9 out of 10 cases the problem is likely caused by the last thing you did. In this case, the last thing you did was give your image LE an initial value - and that was the cause.
Quote:
What I would like to know is whether you know what it is causing.

It was caused by a difference between regular LEs and image LEs. Image LEs have to contact the server individually to get there image contents (the bits and bytes that make the pixels in the image). When a form is cleared (as it is on delete F3), the form contacts the engine to tell it to delete that particular record. Between the time that the form tells the engine to delete that record and the time the engine replies that it has, the form calls "clear()" to set up the initial values of the next form to appear. But if that form has an image, and that image has an initial value, the forms sends another (now nested) command to retrieve the image data. Then the form waits for a reply for its image data request and for a reply for its delete record request. Usually, they will come in in the correct order, but in your app, by chance, the replies come in out of order and the image data goes to the delete record command's reply. This gets the client / server communications out of synch.
Quote:
I would feel 1000 percent better if I could talk to someone "live" about this.

Ray will call you tomorrow. I will move it to "top of his in box". In the meantime, back up your application. Set your image's initial value to blank, and see if that has up and running again.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 1:11am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I'm afraid that, at least in my case, something else must be going on.

I have lost records (yesterday) in a BACKUP copy of the database; however, that was never "reconciled" to the latest revisions in my DSR file,  so that it does not have an initial value for the LE image field.

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 1:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

Something else may be going on in addition to the problem described above.
Quote:
I have lost records (yesterday) in a BACKUP copy of the database; however, that was never "reconciled" to the latest revisions in my DSR file,  so that it does not have an initial value for the LE image field.

Send the .db and .dat file and a description of the missing records. Please include in  the description informaton that should appear in several of the text fields - as unique as possible.

Did you notice the change after a reconcile? If so, what changes were you putting in with SDesigner? Were these newly entered records, or records that have been in the application for some time? How did you test for whether they were missing?  Were you using a particular search spec to find them?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 4:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

I have received the backup copy of this application and it also has an initial value on the image LE.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 6:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just got off the phone with Spencer and figuring out what has happened.

The Initial Value for the image element was messing with communications as Mark stated above. Now while F3 did not appear to delete the current record, it was indeed deleting that record. So if F3 was pressed a couple of times in a row, it would delete a record each time that you pressed F3, it just would not update the screen. Hence the cause of the missing records.

If you notice that F3 is not working for you, and you do not have NotifyForm(4) turned on, do not press it multiple times.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #14 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 6:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I had forgotten that I certainly had backed up the database after my first attempts to install an image initial value. 

Since it never worked in my "master" I assumed (incorrectly) that it was not in my copy. When I think of what my original problem was, I should have realized that it would have been in the copy as well and simply "appeared" not to be working.

In any event the purpose of this particular message is to ACKNOWLEDGE YOU and RAY for the PHENOMENAL support you provide.  Your prompt response to this matter saved me from going through even more "grief" than I experienced.  While it will take a little "doing" on my part, I feel confident that I will identify and "restore" any missing records from my database.

THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for the prompt action you have taken and for restoring my confidence.

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #15 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 6:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

Well I spent the entire day yesterday and last night trying to identify and replace missing records.

At least as far as the reunion is concerned, I now have all of the appropriate records in place and have been able to input new information. 

I was not able to identify any additional missing records; however, that is not to say that there aren't any.  But, I am certain that it would not be a major problem.  As with everying else in life, nothing is perfect - so what the heck!  lol

I do have a question about the Image Layout Element now that I have removed it from the initial value spec.

Do you think it is safe to use an "if/then" statement to add an image value?  For example, IF someone is attending the reunion AND the image path is blank, THEN I want to insert Need Photo.jpg. 

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #16 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 7:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

Yes an If Then statement should be fine. The problem had to do with an actual initial value not with programming.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #17 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I just added the if/then statement and it works like a charm.  For my particular needs, this is probably a better solution than an initial image value, anyhow.  Too bad that I hadn't thought of using that, in the first place.  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged