Normal Topic Unloading Sesame Server (Read 994 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Unloading Sesame Server
Dec 28th, 2005 at 6:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
For the past few releases, I notice that Sesame Server does not 'unload' some application when all users have disconnected (Local Lan connection).

Obviously, in order to reconcile, I have to log into the admin panel to shut down the server to 'unload' the apps, which seems a bit troublesome. Also, I'm worried that changes I make to a database are writtin to the servers 'memory' and may be lost when I shut down the server (not written to the actual app.)

The only advantage i see currently is that the first user to connect has virtually no wait time as the app is already loaded into memory.

Do I need to be concerned with this behavior?

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Unloading Sesame Server
Reply #1 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 7:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Steve,

If an X command (XLookup, @XLookup, XPost, etc.) loads a file on the Sesame Server then the file will remain loaded until the Sesame Server is shut down. It has done this ever since version 1.0.  X commands do this so that subsequent X commands to the same application will be quicker.

There are other ways that this can happen such as a power outage, network failure, computer failure, or anything that can suddenly remove a Sesame Client from the Sesame Server. The client seat will be released after a time-out period, but the application that that client had loaded will remain loaded in memory on the server.

When you make a change to a database Sesame writes that change out to file when you do a save, F10 and F9 both count as a save and write data out to the file. It also keeps a copy in memory this way it can serve that data out to it's clients faster rather than constantly having to reload the application from file.

No need to be concerned with this behavior. As long as you shut down the Sesame Server before you reconcile an application that was loaded into memory then you should be fine.

However if you reconcile an application that is loaded into memory on the Server, by unlocking it, then you are asking for major trouble. The first thing you will probably notice is that your changes did not take affect. The second thing you notice is after you restart the server and you find that your file may not load. Even after unlocking it will not load. It may start to load and then gets to a certain percentage and gives a two line error message. If you look in the Log at this point you will see a couple of entries that say "failure while loading application", "Failed to read a record", and "Failure to read a record at ####". The #### is the number of the record that Sesame could not read. The file may or may not be recoverable at this point. If you followed the reconcile instructions correctly then you have a backup, and you will need to put it into use to replace the application that you just damaged. If you do not have a backup you will need contact Technical Support and they may be able to repair it.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 7:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. It seems that what i am experiencing is normal (due to the xlookups from one app to another.)

As I'm sure you know,  the fact that the server must be shut down in order to reconcile means I have to force ALL users out of EVERY open application, just to reconcile one particular application.

This seems to defeat the ease of the Sesame Designer program.

It's only a minor inconvenience, and we do enjoy the speed increase of the xlookups. Perhaps it's worth it in the long run.

Thanks again for the input.

Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 7:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

It may make you happy to know that I caught a glimpse of 2.0 the other day and noticed that it has a new tab in Server Administration whose name is Unload Applications. It has the ability to unload an application from the Server so that it can be reconciled or loaded by another server.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 8:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Very cool!