Normal Topic Combo Box - Unbound (Read 703 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Combo Box - Unbound
Dec 29th, 2005 at 1:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I have been using a combo box in several aps and never had a problem with the setup (other than when I exceeded what the list could accommodate and had to program the choices).

I now have a problem and I'm baffled about what I did wrong and how to fix it.

I set up an LE for "Reason Returned" as a combo box.  The field label is Returned and the name of the field is Returned. 

When I used it, it worked just fine (or so I thought).  I could make my selection as with any other combo box.  Much to my surprise, when I went back to one of the forms the selection (Reason) I chose was not there.  I then looked at other records and the reason was blank.

Sooo, I went to the property view and discovered that the combo box was unbound.  I thought it would be an easy fix, however, I could not retrieve the LE that I want to bind it to.

In other words, when I go to the property editor, and clicked on the arrow for the "bound to" box, I cannot find a Layout Element named Reason, nor could I find any other Layout Element that I didn't know what field it was for.   (That is one of the reasons I was "cleaning up" unnamed LE's - as discussed in another message).

I think something similar happened to me before (with regard to finding the apporpriate LE) and I wound up deleting the field and adding a new layout element from scratch.  I prefer not to do that in this case.  There must be an easier way.

I also belive that I must have overlooked something "simple" when I added the combo box and would love to know what that was.  (One thing I might have done is left it "unbound" when I first set it up).  But, still, I think there must have been "something else."

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Combo Box - Unbound
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sooo, I went to the property view and discovered that the combo box was unbound.  I thought it would be an easy fix, however, I could not retrieve the LE that I want to bind it to.

You do mean field you want to bind it to. It is the LE.

Quote:
One thing I might have done is left it "unbound" when I first set it up
Thanks!

Likely the case if no field was made when the LE was made. SDesigner will automatically make the bound field unless you tell it not to.

If you have not populated the combo box, simply deleting it and putting it back is the easiest way.

If you have populated the combo box (and so - do not want to delete it), go to "Manage A Database!Manage Fields" and add a field to your database. Then go back to your form, select the combo box, and then select the "other" tab of the property editor. Then select the newly created field from the list on the "Bound To" menu. Save.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:23am
Print Post Print Post  
OK - Let me start with the "plus" side of this conversation. 

I had populated the combo box so I used your second suggestion and added a field (Reason) to the database.  Fine!  Problem solved!  Used it, tested it, works perfectly.  Thank You!

BUT, now I am totally confused again about what the heck is a layout element and what the heck is a field.  When I first started using Sesame I was totally confused about the distinction between LE and field.  I had a few lengthy converstions with Bob Hansen and thought I understood it.  At least, up until now, it hasn't interfered with anything I did or anything I described.

But, now you are saying:

Code
Select All
You do mean field you want to bind it to. It is the LE.

That sounds like you are saying a field IS the LE.  If a field IS an LE then what PRECISELY is the distinction between the two.  Is a field ever just a field and an LE ever just an LE?  I am certain this is very basic to the use of Sesame; however, since it is "basic" that makes it all the more important that I understand it fully.  Apparently I still don't.  So, forgive my ignorance please, and please help me better understand the distinction between the two.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 2:40am
Print Post Print Post  
No. A field is the actual storage in the database. Its size can be measured in bytes. Its contents can be written to a file. A field is a unit of storage in a record. Fields have types like: string, number, time, and date. Fields live on the server in the database engine.

A Layout Element (LE) is a widget. It is a device for seeing the contents of a field. It sits on a form. Its size is measured in pixels. It is usually visible and can be clicked on with a mouse. LEs have types like: combo box, radio button, or command button. LEs live on the client in the user interface.

LEs can be bound to fields - that means that LE shows you and may allow you to edit a particular field. The field is referred to as the "data source" for that LE.

Forms (and reports) have LEs.

Records have fields.

In your case, the LE is a combo box. The field is likely a text field.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 3:07am
Print Post Print Post  
OK -

I think I get an "F" (for failed) when it comes to memory retention.  It seems to me that I first had difficulty with the terminology because in Q&A (if I recall correctly) what I saw on the screen when looking at a form was a FIELD.  Most people refer to what they see on screen as a field, so I questioned the naming (LE vs field) originally, thinking it would have been easier to understand had the names been reversed.

Notwithstanding my personal problem with the choice of names, I must have again "reversed" them essentially in my mind.

So, reading your explanation makes it a lot clearer and I just have to "reinforce" my thinking process to call a field a field, a layout element a layout element (GOOD GRIEF, NO ...  OR NOW A WIDGET)  lol

The only point I now need clarified is when you say
Quote:
Records have fields.

Again, I want to be sure that I use the same (correct) terminology when I refer to something.

Is the "record" what "holds" the fields (in the background in my mind) and the "form" what holds the layout elements that I see when I look at a form in my database?  Once again, I have always used and heard the terms form and record used interchangeably when referring to databases.

I'm going to get this flat if it kills me!!!   (and I hope that it doesn't do that until AT LEAST after January 25 and 26!!!!!

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 3:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Sounds like you pretty much got it.

A record holds fields.

A form holds LEs.

Yes, Q&A - for simplicities sake, called both LEs and fields: "fields". That is not to say that there weren't two different things behind the scenes. There were.

MS calls them "fields" and "controls".

Widget is a generic name meaning "thingy", "gizmo", "whatchamacallit", or "human machine interface model view control interactive element manifestation". Wink

IP Logged