Normal Topic IMPORT TO FORM WITH SUBFORMS (Read 788 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

IMPORT TO FORM WITH SUBFORMS
Dec 31st, 2005 at 7:08am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I need to populate a newly created database which consists of a main form (general informaton about a CD) and sub-forms a line item for information about each track.

In Access, the sub-form records are in a separate table.  Is there a way to export from Access/import to Sesame to both the main and sub-form with the related information being in the proper relationship and sequence?

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: IMPORT TO FORM WITH SUBFORMS
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame can do a hierarchical import. This capability is specifically for the purpose of automaitcally creating form/subform relationships on import. See pages 342-344 in the 1.1 User Guide.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika -

The reference you gave gives me some basic info I needed; however, it does not help with my particular situation.

My import would have to come from an MS Access export and I don't know how to do the export to have it work with Sesame.

So, I am wondering whether anyone "out there" has had experience doing this.  Surely I'm not the first to convert an Access database with sub-forms into Sesame.

Although there were only 50 or so CD's in the old database, there are about 700 tracks and I would hate to have to retype all of that.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Access does this easily when you run a query that uses values from both the parent and the child records. It is the default behavior to "flatten" the relational data into the format Sesame wants to import. I don't have a copy of Access in front of me to give to step-by-step directions. Perhaps someone else does.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 8:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika -

Thank you SO MUCH.

The Query approach did the trick and I was able to figger it out.  The entire process was relatively easy and it seems to have worked like a charm.  I have not yet found a single error in my new WITH SUBFORMS Sesame database.  Even if I should come accross something it would be negligible and an easy fix, I am sure.

I'm so excited to have my first Sesame database with sub-forms and I still can't get over how easy it is.

I is happy!

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 8:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I MUST tell on MYSELF because I thought this was so funny. I am so proud of  - and am doing additional work on - my CD database.

Then, starting yesterday and this morning I thought "oh no, now what is wrong with this thing?"

I have 49 CD's entered so far.  But as I would work on my forms - and I glanced at the form # - it would change seemingly without any rhyme or reason.  Suddenly, instead of being on form 2 of 49, I would be on form 2 of 15 and I thought "oh no, did I lose my records?"  

Then I would be on the second form and click on advance to next form and no matter how many times I clicked, I would still be on the second form (even though at the top, it would advance to form 3, 4, etc.).  I thought I was going to have to ship another database to Ray to have it checked out.

And then suddenly I burst out laughing.  It took me all that time to realize that the "counter" at the top of the form was properly responding to the correct form # and total # of forms DEPENDING on whether I was on the MAIN form or the SUB form.  

So, I can now go back to simply enjoying and being very proud of my foist databse with sub-forms.  Once again, I am extremely impressed with how simple and easy-to-use this function is.  Congratulations, again, on some incredible design work.  

On that note, all I can say is:

HAPPY
NEW YEAR!!!!!

- Spencer

IP Logged